welding leads

Status
Not open for further replies.

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Never saw one in conduit

Never saw one in conduit

I never saw one in conduit but i have seen them protected from abuse when they went from machine to welding table. I have also seen them just run across the floor.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
Are welding leads required to be in conduit from the welder to the point of operation on permanently installed welders?

No. And I don't know I've ever seen a permanently installed welder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADub

Occupation
welding leads

Think assembly line maybe? What determines permanent?

I work in a major production facility with over 500 welders and can assure you that not a one of them are permanent. Working on welding systems is a major part of my job and we're moving those things around constantly. Physical protection is a must yes and that is usually achieved by running weld cables in engineered trenches under heavy duty steel grating or by routing them under fabricated steel covers. Conduit could potentially work but it's more trouble than it's worth as usually the weld secondaries are not the only thing running to the table or fixture.

Edit: I should add this is simply how we do it and I realize there might be other methods out there. We have plants worldwide and I haven't been to them all but I know the ones in the states don't do it

we have 3 welders that are used in a submerged arc process for piping. these are permanently mounted to this equipment. the cables are run from the welder across the ceiling trusses and back down to the point of use. these will run several hours at a time.

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
A festoon system?

A festoon system?

That is a different problem; No I would not put them in conduit. But I don't think they can just be draped in the trusses, cable trayor festoon system maybe.

ADub

Occupation
Cable tray, definitely. Check whether the welding leads are rated for cable tray and whether it matters.

Welding cable will be fine in cable tray regardless of rating. The kicker with welding cable tray is that welding cable is the only thing you can put in it. 630.42(c)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Cable tray, definitely. Check whether the welding leads are rated for cable tray and whether it matters.
Not explicitly stated anywhere, but I do not believe leads have to be cable tray rated. Probably why you can only put welding leads in that tray and have to put a sign to that effect not more than every 20 ft.

kwired

Electron manager
I work in a major production facility with over 500 welders and can assure you that not a one of them are permanent. Working on welding systems is a major part of my job and we're moving those things around constantly. Physical protection is a must yes and that is usually achieved by running weld cables in engineered trenches under heavy duty steel grating or by routing them under fabricated steel covers. Conduit could potentially work but it's more trouble than it's worth as usually the weld secondaries are not the only thing running to the table or fixture.

Edit: I should add this is simply how we do it and I realize there might be other methods out there. We have plants worldwide and I haven't been to them all but I know the ones in the states don't do it

Might depend on your operation. An operation where material passes by an "automated" welder may have a welder that is for the most part fixed and not portable.

I can't give you much for examples as I don't do work in any places other then where welders are portable type with operator using a hand held electrode, but would think some highly automated assembly line could certainly have a welder that is permanently fixed in place and is automatically operated vs hand operated.

ADub

Occupation
Might depend on your operation. An operation where material passes by an "automated" welder may have a welder that is for the most part fixed and not portable.

I can't give you much for examples as I don't do work in any places other then where welders are portable type with operator using a hand held electrode, but would think some highly automated assembly line could certainly have a welder that is permanently fixed in place and is automatically operated vs hand operated.

Nice theory but the point is moot since the code doesn't make exception between "fixed" and portable welders. As far as what you've described...id love to see that happen in person

kwired

Electron manager
As far as what you've described...id love to see that happen in person

I would too. Like I said I am not around those types of operations. What is "fixed" may have slightly different meaning for some as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.