Romex use in Industrial building. Allowed/Not allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to run circuit from a panel to an outlet.

Run raceway out of the panel maybe 20' or 30' up and out of an electrical room into a suspended ceiling, NM or MC from there how ever far it is and then back into raceway to come down out of the ceiling with EMT into the outlet.

I find it very odd so many seem baffled by a common practice at least in my area.

Ok well that makes sense and I also have frequently done that. I thought you were talking about a complete raceway system. Typically we do this to get around the "exposed in other than dwelling" restriction. Also y'all in mass can use nm above suspended ceilings.

JFletcher

Have to run circuit from a panel to an outlet.

Run raceway out of the panel maybe 20' or 30' up and out of an electrical room into a suspended ceiling, NM or MC from there how ever far it is and then back into raceway to come down out of the ceiling with EMT into the outlet.

I find it very odd so many seem baffled by a common practice at least in my area.

So using NM the whole way eliminates a j-box or two, or is there some other advantage?

JFletcher

No j-box, no splices, one kind of wire to bring in etc.

Is there some disadvantage?

Aside from people questioning NM in conduit, no. A complete run can be covered up with drywall whereas j-boxes cannot. and I'd much rather take an extra minute or two getting NM thru conduit than make up a j-box in some awkward spot.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Here in San Diego's local municipalities, it's always been a no-no. We are allowed to run it in PVC conduit when going between a residence and an out-building though.
So they allow you to run it in a wet location which is a violation of the NEC but they don't let you run it in a conduit in a dry location which is legal. Are you sure they have a formal amendment prohibiting it?

Wouldn't you have to de-rate the due to less cooling efficiency of Romex in EMT conduit?
As Iwire stated no, but it is limited to 60 deg.

He also made wire nut splices in the panel because he cut the Romex too short. (Real professional).:lol:
Nothing wrong with that code wise.

As far as the article sections allowing NM in raceways. look at any of the 3XX.22 sections for instance 358 for EMT says.

358.22 Number of Conductors.
The number of conductors
shall not exceed that permitted by the percentage fill
specified in Table 1, Chapter 9.
Cables shall be permitted to be installed where such use
is not prohibited by the respective cable articles. The number
of cables shall not exceed the allowable percentage fill
specified in Table 1, Chapter 9.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.