Second floor railing recept required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

The second floor of a residence. The stairs coming up at the top will open into the second floor room with no wall around the top of the stairwell. The top of the stair area will wrap around with railing about 15 feet worth

That railing area needs to be treated as wall space and would need floor receipts to meet requirements.

Correct?

On iphone. Talking to builder. Not at my computer and confirming

Thank you.
Rich

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
This new residence you are wiring (assuming this from your other threads) -- is it for a spec home or someone that is a friend or relative?

If spec home or a builder, just the bare code minimum (#'s as folks have advised) as some of them would only put one outlet per room were it not for code :huh:.

If the house is for a friend or family, there never can be too many outlets. Also, put all lights on different breakers that outlets. Own house has outlets every 4 foot. In son's house office we built 3 years ago, one wall in computer area has 8 outlets on one 18 ft long wall. Some at 30 inches high, others at 40 inches high. (see next paragraph)
Shop area has all outlets 8" above bench tops.

Am anticipating another question from you: how high should the outlets be? :roll: Lots of discussion in old threads.

Whoever came up with the old 13" off the floor standard was daffy IMO. Personal preference for custom work is waist height for the lady of the house on clear wall spaces, so you don't have to bend over to plug something in (or what the owner wants). For behind furniture if layout is planned ahead, just below table top for lamp table, etc. If desktop, ABOVE the desk top, absolutely hate crawling under a desk to plug in a laptop !

AHJ here says they do not have to be TR if above 52 inches (or over a built in desk or counter), went that direction for some hall outlets in son's house.

JFletcher

Whoever came up with the old 13" off the floor standard was daffy IMO. Personal preference for custom work is waist height for the lady of the house on clear wall spaces, so you don't have to bend over to plug something in (or what the owner wants).

We've put quite a few in the floor or in the baseboards. Waist height would be great; no more laying on the floor to trim out. :D

ritelec

Am anticipating another question from you: how high should the outlets be? :roll: Lots of discussion in old threads.

Whoever came up with the old 13" off the floor standard was daffy IMO. Personal preference for custom work is waist height for the lady of the house on clear wall spaces, so you don't have to bend over to plug something in (or what the owner wants).

I actually like the look of recpts in baseboard molding. OLD OLD school.

I go hammer height plus a bit for finished floor for recpt.

Let me see if I understand, you go waist height for convenience recepts ???? That must look great in a living room... :blink:

kwired

Electron manager
Who's waist do you go by?:D

How do you put the floor outlet asked about in the OP waist high?

Whether or not the OP needs a floor outlet depends on the space adjacent to the stairway and whether it will require receptacles along this boundary of the space. If it is a space where the 6-12 placement rules apply - it is very likely you need at least one floor receptacle unless there is 6 feet or less of stair railing.

Status
Not open for further replies.