Tamper Resistant in Dormitory rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

forabit

I was told by my AHJ that TR is required in dorms as replacements as well as new construction.
Article 406.12 does not list dormitory units.
There has been some confusion between "Guest Rooms and Guest Suites of Hotel and Motels" and "Dormitory Units".
For comparison ARC fault article specifically lists Dormitory units in 210.12 (C).
Also 210.60 lists "Guest Rooms, Guest Suites, Dormitories and Similar Occupancies" as a group, for placement/location of receptacles.
So why are "Dormitory Units" not listed in 406.12 if the intention is to have TR in dorms?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I was told by my AHJ that TR is required in dorms as replacements as well as new construction.
Article 406.12 does not list dormitory units.
There has been some confusion between "Guest Rooms and Guest Suites of Hotel and Motels" and "Dormitory Units".
For comparison ARC fault article specifically lists Dormitory units in 210.12 (C).
Also 210.60 lists "Guest Rooms, Guest Suites, Dormitories and Similar Occupancies" as a group, for placement/location of receptacles.
So why are "Dormitory Units" not listed in 406.12 if the intention is to have TR in dorms?

I would think it depends on your Code cycle.

For example, I think 406.13 in 2011 would require it, but 406.13 in 2014 wouldn't.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Most universities use their dorm rooms for other visitors outside of the normal school year. For example summer camps, alumni for reunions (with kids in tow), etc.

-Jon

forabit

Most universities use their dorm rooms for other visitors outside of the normal school year. For example summer camps, alumni for reunions (with kids in tow), etc.

-Jon

This is partially true here as well but I still don't see it in the code....

JFletcher

College kids stick things in outlets too, especially when under the influence of liquids and chemicals.

Very true. And if you can't figure out how to bypass/disable TR in 30 seconds, I'm afraid that degree might be worthless. :D

On an aside, I nearly had a minor conniption today trimming out a house. Was installing receptacles, looked at the one I just put in - not TR. Found the last 11 like that. Ouch. Turned out they were TR, but have black shudders inside, so they look like regular receptacles, which to me is extremely poor engineering. They are stamped TR on the yoke, but should be immediately and obviously TR, if nothing for the inspector who isnt gonna want to check every yoke for a stamp/engraving. I could have sworn every TR receptacle Ive ever put in before today has white 'TR' shudders internally.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Very true. And if you can't figure out how to bypass/disable TR in 30 seconds, I'm afraid that degree might be worthless. :D

On an aside, I nearly had a minor conniption today trimming out a house. Was installing receptacles, looked at the one I just put in - not TR. Found the last 11 like that. Ouch. Turned out they were TR, but have black shudders inside, so they look like regular receptacles, which to me is extremely poor engineering. They are stamped TR on the yoke, but should be immediately and obviously TR, if nothing for the inspector who isnt gonna want to check every yoke for a stamp/engraving. I could have sworn every TR receptacle Ive ever put in before today has white 'TR' shudders internally.

Were they Legrand (P&S)? If so they sent out a message a while back that they were changing the shutters from white to black so they would blend in better.

JFletcher

Were they Legrand (P&S)? If so they sent out a message a while back that they were changing the shutters from white to black so they would blend in better.

Yes they were. I didnt get the memo. Still terrible, the only thing they blend in better with is standard outlets. I cant believe customers or ECs complained about the shudder color.

forabit, what code cycle are you on? David's post #2 seems to have the answer. I dont have an 11 or 14 to look at atm to check myself.

Hendrix

I just went through a similar dilemma. During a final inspection of a home, I noticed that the receptacles weren't marked TR and they didn't look TR but upon closer inspection with a flash light they were indeed TR.:thumbsdown:

peter d

:lol::thumbsup:

What brand were they?

peter d

I only install TR now.

Am I wrong?

I don't bother where they are not required in commercial areas. I prefer 5362 or better for commercial, CR is ok but still has a pretty limited life with heavy use. TR is available in industrial and hospital grade but far too expensive for run of the mill installations.

Smash

If I recall the reason was over 7,000 emergency room trips each year due to shocks from items being inserted into outlets.

Times sure have changed that's how we learned as kids not to stick stuff in those coin slot looking things on the wall. I remember doing it as a kid the response was "See that will teach you" I think I got a smack too. Guess what never did it again, and became an electrician. Irony

mgookin

Times sure have changed that's how we learned as kids not to stick stuff in those coin slot looking things on the wall. I remember doing it as a kid the response was "See that will teach you" I think I got a smack too. Guess what never did it again, and became an electrician. Irony

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.