Clicking noise, power related

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.P.

I was reading on a guitar form today and somebody posted this.

"I have an interference where I live that is causing clicks at a regular intervals in my guitars. Like a metronome tick.
I am so frustrated with this. I can’t record at home and it bugs me every time I play. So much that I barely play the electric anymore."

I myself have a guitar amp that will fade out a bit when you turn on anything on it's circuit. (Class A amp.) I use a power conditioner and all is ok.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

"I have an interference where I live that is causing clicks at a regular intervals in my guitars. Like a metronome tick.
I am so frustrated with this. I can’t record at home and it bugs me every time I play. So much that I barely play the electric anymore."

I myself have a guitar amp that will fade out a bit when you turn on anything on it's circuit. (Class A amp.) I use a power conditioner and all is ok.
Knowing where he lives might help. I have a rural background and can say that electric fencers can be noisy. Even my everyday testers can pick up a unit that has been installed incorrectly or is snapping to ground.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Musicians are a great group of people but you can't trust anything they say when it comes to electrical issues.
Careful with that wide brush, there, Dave. I am a musician and an electrical engineer with my PE license. :D

But I know what you are speaking of. Eric Johnson, for example, is a virtuoso guitarist but he has some very strange ideas about how his gear works.

Last edited:

ggunn

Occupation

Does his amp have a tremelo circuit? If so, does the ticking vary in speed when he fiddles with the speed knob on his tremelo control?

My '65 Deluxe Reverb does that sometimes when I have the tremelo turned off with the floor switch. If I unplug the switch, the noise goes away.

Whatever he's got, it's almost certainly not power related.

Last edited:

ggunn

Occupation
He needs the $140 receptacle; problems solved. :D

w/o knowing more and how every electronic device could possibly interfere, I have nothing.
What he needs is the $1500 AC power cable for his amp. Google it; it's real.

And it's a scam, of course.

J.P.

I don't know the first thing about the guy. Not much help I know. Dimers will do odd stuff to sound. A steady pop or click though?

Maybe his sink is leaking and his mic is set up close to it:)

ggunn

Occupation
I don't know the first thing about the guy. Not much help I know. Dimers will do odd stuff to sound. A steady pop or click though?

Maybe his sink is leaking and his mic is set up close to it:)
I'd bet money that it's the tremelo circuit on his amp.

ggunn

Occupation
I don't think there is a amp involved, I think he is plugging directly into a interface.
Did you leave something out when you quoted him? I didn't see anything that indicated that. Have you a link to that forum? I might be able to help him.

J.P.

My link wouldn't post. It's on the " Gearslutz " page. Forums, So many guitars so little time, The post is titled " Vaiaxe v/s noiseless pickups "

Your right it doesn't say interface it says interference, another example of seeing what I want to see.......... Stupid brain.

Last edited:

jmattero

Do you have a battery charger plugged in somewhere? I have a 20 volt drill and whenever i am charging a battery for that drill, i get a clicking through the speakers of my sound system.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.