house meter is grounded to ground rod, panel is not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
A customer who is selling his 50 yr old house wants me to correct everything so a home inspector will pass it. His meter is grounded to a ground rod, which feeds the house panel 20 feet away inside with 3 wires. The house panel has no ground wire going to a rod or to anything. There is no outside disconnect. This work was done probably 30 years ago. Also, there is a simple pull out 60 amp disconnect fed from the meter going to an out building. What will not pass an inspection here?
Thank you.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
A customer who is selling his 50 yr old house wants me to correct everything so a home inspector will pass it. His meter is grounded to a ground rod, which feeds the house panel 20 feet away inside with 3 wires. The house panel has no ground wire going to a rod or to anything. There is no outside disconnect. This work was done probably 30 years ago. Also, there is a simple pull out 60 amp disconnect fed from the meter going to an out building. What will not pass an inspection here?
Thank you.
Is there a raceway EGC in the wiring from meter to house panel?

growler

The GE can be connected at any point from the point of attachment on in to the panel.

Is there a raceway EGC in the wiring from meter to house panel?

A home inspection is not a code inspection .

Items on a home inspection report need to be addressed in some manor. You can try writing this up as being legal as far as the NEC goes and maybe that will be acceptable. I would call the home inspectors and inform him that it's code complaint and if he won't budge then give a price to make corrections.

The most important thing is to sell the house and that will keep the owner happy.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
As far as the ground rod being connected to the meter, it is allowed by code. But some POCO will allow it & some won't. We deal with two POCO in the immediate area, one requires the connection in the meter, the other won't allow it in the meter.

As to the HI, I would just wait and see what the inspector writes up. The 60A disconnect might be suspect depending on the lugs in the meter but I would still wait.

GerryB

As far as the ground rod being connected to the meter, it is allowed by code. But some POCO will allow it & some won't. We deal with two POCO in the immediate area, one requires the connection in the meter, the other won't allow it in the meter.

As to the HI, I would just wait and see what the inspector writes up. The 60A disconnect might be suspect depending on the lugs in the meter but I would still wait.
I would wait also, but you could check inside the panel for "double taps", a HI favorite! Also missing j-box covers and ungrounded and reverse polarity outlets.

Status
Not open for further replies.