Protection if wire from face of framing member?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

One

When drilling holes on 2x4 studs and stapling to maintain
The distance from the face if the framing member , where does a plastic box or metal box wire entry point enter into it.

I mean. That opening you stick the wire into in the back of the box could be a half or quarter inch away from the corner of the stud

Two

I always use one opening in a plastic box per cable.
I've seen people put two in one.

Are there listings for entertaining into plastic boxes?

It would help bringing cables into a further hole in the box as to prevent a screw going into the opening that is very close to the beam edge.

John120/240

I do not think the NEC addresses this issue. Personal preference is the standard in this instance. To keep your Romex cables away from the stud put two cables in one plastic box KO or one cable in the top side & one enter from the bottom side.

ritelec

Thank you for the response.

Are you saying that if you're looking at a single gang nail on. The stud is on the left. There are four 14-2's to enter that box ( or even one combo 14-3 and 14- 2) you should be able to enter two cables into the box via the hole on the top right and two cables into the box us the the bottom right?

Leaving the top left and bottom left holes empty?

Is this approved? Could this install get knocked down ?

Buck Parrish

Only one per hole in the gray boxes. Two per hole in the blue boxes. It's an accepted trade practice to install the wire in any opening. Then pull the wire towards the center of the stud as close as possible to the box. Then staple as close to the center as possible.
I'm not sure of the code reference on the 1 1/4 rule

ritelec

Thank you.

Can you reference the cable entry per opening in either the gray or blue box?

I looked but could not find.

I did however find 314.17(C) exception.

One gang box. Multiple cable entries shall be permitted in a single cable knockout opening

Okay. That works for me :- )

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The 1-1/4" rule is to minimize the chance of rockers (and anybody else) missing the stud with a screw and hitting the wiring. It's not likely someone is going to put a screw directly above or below a box unless they are stupid.

-Hal

ritelec

I see it a possible.

I've missed studs while screwing. Now if there was a box on the other side of the wall so the opening of the box and cable entering was right there(on your side if the wall) Well. I don't think that stupidity. I think the wire was to close to the stud.

Mind you. I've used that closer opening on many boxes in many houses and haven't had an issue ( that I know of ) but was just something on my mind for this install

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Only one per hole in the gray boxes. Two per hole in the blue boxes. It's an accepted trade practice to install the wire in any opening. Then pull the wire towards the center of the stud as close as possible to the box. Then staple as close to the center as possible.
I'm not sure of the code reference on the 1 1/4 rule

Color of box has zero to do with number of cables per opening. Multiple cables can enter a single KO in a single gang box. For all other boxes with internal clamps I have never seen one listed for more that one cable per opening.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
I think common sense should prevail when it comes to how many Romexes per box opening. There's enough rules and listing already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ritelec

The box must be blue for two cables in one entry. If it's plastic, otherwise it doesn't matter.

Is that a question or a statement ?

I used grays. Slater. I can't double wire in the one opening like 314.17c says.

314.17c makes No mention of the color of a box ?

ADub

Occupation

Why can't you put more than one cable in an opening? I thought the exception of 314.17(c) explicitly allowed it?

ritelec

Why can't you put more than one cable in an opening? I thought the exception of 314.17(c) explicitly allowed it?

I thought so too.

My sentance of a slater box and not being able to double up was a question not a statement.

Punctuation goes a long way at times :- )

ADub

Occupation
I thought so too.

My sentance of a slater box and not being able to double up was a question not a statement.

Punctuation goes a long way at times :- )

80b2616a78e470a610d3794bbd9bfe62.jpg

edlee

Maybe because some plastic boxes (Carlon blues) have a bit of a plastic knockout that actually falls out WHERE AS the gray Slaters have a clamping action and so those openings might not be considered knockouts.

I don't really know just guessing..........

JFletcher

I'm guessing the listing of the box by the mfg (110.3(B)). Boxes with clamps, whether one-way finger catcher style or other clamp are about impossible to get 2 cables in one hole/ko anyway.

eta: what Curt wrote

ADub

Occupation
Maybe because some plastic boxes (Carlon blues) have a bit of a plastic knockout that actually falls out WHERE AS the gray Slaters have a clamping action and so those openings might not be considered knockouts.

I don't really know just guessing..........

I see your point. IMO I don't consider any nail on box to contain KOs, just places to run a rope in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.