If you don't have a metal detector try this

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinZip

Find underground metal conduit an cables.

Take two pieces of #8 bare solid conductor about 12 in long bend a 90 deg bend about 6 in from the end now hold those in your hands with the longer part out in front of you an now start walking in to the location you think that conduit or cable is and when you cross over it those two #8 will also cross an pin point what your looking for, it seems to create an magnetic field.

I once saw an older man do this some 35 yrs ago an dang if he didn't find a 4 in rigid conduit some 4 feet deep.

Last edited by a moderator:

cadpoint

If cast iron it will be found too... some can find a pipe as well as water.

18"O.A. with a 6" bend, maybe...

Your walking into the magnetic field not creating one. :grin:

Some people don't use divining rods, some do... or should I say, believe in or can obtain results... :cool:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I had a customer do that to find a waterline that was buried in the general vicinity of where I had to bury a 2" conduit for a roots type blower that unloads dry mix for a concrete plant. Don't know if it really worked because he said don't dig here, thats where the waterline is. Didn't find a waterline where I did dig though!

Article 90.1

Ok, ok, I get the divining rod thing, and I have heard of people that can do it. But CU wire being moved by a magnetic field, I don't understand, any ferrous metal, however, I can wrap my head around.

cadpoint

Ok, you keep reading that the Ground (earth) is not a total relief in an electrical system but helps kicks the Breaker (code on U).

So the earth is stable and the metal properties of the structure is a differnece to the field that it's sitting in.

If you google images magnetic lines of force you can get the inference,

For that matter try a compass...

Test it on some exposed sewer clean out lines, even water meters ... back out 5 then 10 feet and walk back and forth...

Buck Parrish

I had a customer do that to find a waterline that was buried in the general vicinity of where I had to bury a 2" conduit for a roots type blower that unloads dry mix for a concrete plant. Don't know if it really worked because he said don't dig here, thats where the waterline is. Didn't find a waterline where I did dig though!

They generally use a forked hickory stick... for water;)

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I remember that trick from code school when we were near the end of the required hours. I didn't actually believe it at the time.

Article 90.1

A compas is made with a ferrous metal, iron bar, etc. I'm not trying to be cute, I'd just like to see why all this stuff works. Have the Myth Busters ever experimented with divining?

cadpoint

Go do it yourself, then go ask a friend... U can proof it yourself... or not...

Wet results could be different than dry based on PH of the Ground (Earth).

Do you think that makes Hickoy a water hog or a water deprivied object?

kbsparky

I called it voodoo. :roll:

But I had a fellow who worked for me 20 years ago who could do it, and with good accuracy. He would take scraps of ground rod wire, bent and cut to length -- spin `em in his hands, and they would move and cross right over the old trench. Voodoo at its finest. :D

GUNNING

witching

witching

I used to be a cable locater. Had a redneck show me that trick. He said the trick was to get the crook of your hands moist and friction free. Thats why you swing the rods. He would lick his palms if they werr not wet enough with sweat. Sweat is best.
If my Dynatel 3500 would die I would get out the rods and get good results. You have to walk perpendicular across the line and hold the tips of the rods up. He called it witching. Its a skill most underground foremen should have in there repertoire.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I've seen it work and also seen it not work.

Probably about as good as looking at the pipe where it goes underground and where it comes back up and using logic.

Twice I've spent 1/2 day digging to find one located by witching, those 2 times didn't help a bit.

WinZip

You hold them loosely in your hands with about 10 in out in front of you , sort of balance them in your hands so they can move freely.

JacksonburgFarmer

Yeah....the divining rod works for me....I did it today. Some can do it and some cant. My dad and grandpa cant, but I can, and one of my great uncles could do it. It is not just steel, copper or water, I can walk over a 2X4 on top of the ground, and the wires will cross. I usually just use one wire in my right hand......My brother says it is wich craft....:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.