Ceiling Fan from Wall Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

lj

I have an existing 120V/15A wall switch that controls a receptacle. I want to tap into that same wall switch to power a new 4-speed ceiling fan. All these devices are in the same room. May I tap into the line side of the wall switch, or must I tap into the load side of the switch so that the switch controls the existing receptacle and the new fan? Thank you.

lj

mjf, thank you for reminding me about the profile. I made some entries.
mwm1752, the devices are in the master bedroom of a house. The existing 120V/15A duplex receptacle is wall mounted. The existing 120V/15A wall switch is a single-pole toggle. It is fed from a 20A branch circuit. The new 120V ceiling fan has a pull chain to select fan speed; it has no light fixture. The fan is supported by truss structure, not the junction box.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
And based on your (now completed) profile, I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. This forum is intended to assist electricians, electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical profession with their job related duties. If you are not an electrician, we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical troubleshooting, installation, or maintenance work.

Status
Not open for further replies.