Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrail.thomas

How would you go about advertising only service calls for electrical in Texas without having a master license. I would like to do work on the side but without getting into the major stuff. Just quick fixes.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How would you go about advertising only service calls for electrical in Texas without having a master license. I would like to do work on the side but without getting into the major stuff. Just quick fixes.

So you're asking us how you can best advertise to do illegal work? I don't know how Texas looks at this, but in Washington State this isn't allowed.

John120/240

If your going to advertise your services, thats a indication that you are in business. If you are in business you need to get Electrical Permits/Inspections, pay taxes on your earnings, have liability insurance etc etc. In other words DON'T DO IT.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It is theoretically possible to have a business license, insurance, sales tax account, and all the rest and still not have a contractor's license.
Some service work, including troubleshooting and device replacement does not require a permit (or if it does, the several day wait and several hundred dollar fee to replace a broken light switch insures that nobody would ever follow such a rule.)

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

stand in the parking lot at home depot, with a big sign
saying

¡SPARKY!

on it. that should do it. 'specially closer to the border....

teufelhounden91

Advertisement

Penalties listed here:

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/enforcement/elecsanctions.htm

We've all done sidework, but in Texas they'll bite you if you're caught. I got caught soliciting work a few years back on Craigslist because I didn't know the rules and they investigated me for a year to make sure I still wasn't doing work outside of the company I worked for. All in all they just told me to stop (no fines) but they saw I was a Journeyman and I was very polite and apologetic so I think the let me off easy. I even set up an LLC and paid taxes for the work I did.

It's not worth it if you get your license suspended or revoked. You can only do work under a Master Electrician's Contractor's license.

In Texas however you are allowed to have a low-voltage landscaping company and are allowed to do low-voltage work only if it is exterior work. I talked to the city of Austin and verify this, so I started doing low-voltage lighting installs. Only problem is you can't do anything 110v to get to the transformer to set a low-voltage lighting XFMR. But you can contract that part out to your Master if he wants to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.