1 phase reversible diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I need a diagram for 1PH, reversible motor via two contactors. Uglies have it but mines not here. 240v.
FIFY.

...Though I would have loved to have seen a diagram with two contractors... and even better yet, a diagram of such from Ugly's. :slaphead:

On the serious side, perhaps one of these will help (but neither contain an exact match to your query)...
https://gearmotorblog.wordpress.com/2014/06/20/connect-a-reversing-switch/
http://www.hytrol.com/mediacenter/installation_manuals/im_electricalwiring_010105.pdf

If you need more help, please state the nature of the motor (3-, 4- lead, cap start, internal external, etc.).

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Thanks.

Quitting time and had to call both of my help from their jobs while I went for a motor. One went to shop for lifting equip while other started dismantling old. Dark by the time we got the old down and new in place. Then still had to decipher 40 yr old connections vs new with wind trying to blow you off the bin top. Phones dead from being used as Flash lights and wind noise made radios worthless or close to it. Quit until daylight even though it will be colder today. Hopefully it is dry.

Why do they keep making labels smaller and smaller?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks.

Quitting time and had to call both of my help from their jobs while I went for a motor. One went to shop for lifting equip while other started dismantling old. Dark by the time we got the old down and new in place. Then still had to decipher 40 yr old connections vs new with wind trying to blow you off the bin top. Phones dead from being used as Flash lights and wind noise made radios worthless or close to it. Quit until daylight even though it will be colder today. Hopefully it is dry.

Why do they keep making labels smaller and smaller?

I've been there Tom. Customer removed old single phase slide gate motor then couldn't figure out how to connect new single phase motor. Of course, it's always windy when you're at the top of a bin! It definitely makes you think when you haven't had to reverse a single phase motor in a few years....and appreciate the simplicity of reversing a 3 phase motor. Fortunately, they just built a new feed mill next door and all the slide gate motors are now 3 phase!:cool:

Occupation
EC - retired
At least it is not dark. Colder & windy though.

Not sure if we have it correct so checked the current on the run windings, about 10 amps for the brief time I left it on. I was expecting zero, but maybe the start switch is just cutting out the start Caps and not the windings. Motor sounds right.

Weg. 7.5 hp 230volt single voltage reversible.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
At least it is not dark. Colder & windy though.

Not sure if we have it correct so checked the current on the run windings, about 10 amps for the brief time I left it on. I was expecting zero, but maybe the start switch is just cutting out the start Caps and not the windings. Motor sounds right.

Weg. 7.5 hp 230volt single voltage reversible.
Did you mean zero amps on the start winding? If it's a cap start, cap run motor the starting winding would stay in.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Thank you. That is what we figured out. My local motor shop was no help. It switches out the start caps, leaves start winding in.
I have never seen such a circuit in person. It effectively shorts out the starting caps leaving both windings (with an angular offset) connected?
Are you sure this is not a capacitor start-capacitor run motor where the winding is still energized out of phase, but with a smaller value capacitor to keep the appropriate phase shift with the higher running impedance ?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have never seen such a circuit in person. It effectively shorts out the starting caps leaving both windings (with an angular offset) connected?
Are you sure this is not a capacitor start-capacitor run motor where the winding is still energized out of phase, but with a smaller value capacitor to keep the appropriate phase shift with the higher running impedance ?

Diagram of cap start cap run motor here: https://www.google.com/search?q=cap...b4xcH8QQM:&usg=__1pADDfu_an_p1WRe16jFp7XeV6c=

Occupation
EC - retired
Would have been most beneficial for patrons and participants if you gave the full model number...
Sure would have but I took three pictures of the label and none ended up with a readable any thing. Either I was shaking in the wind to much or the flash obscured the details.

I will see what the invoice tells me tomorrow, if my butt gets to find a chair for a few minutes.

Occupation
EC - retired
Whoosh...huh?...er yeah that sounds uh, AD, I'll let you handle this one...

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
The starting caps don't short, they drop out. The starting winding stays energized through a running cap that also limits the current.

Status
Not open for further replies.