Rough in / finish micro wave recep

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I searched the forum on this matter. I think a dedicated circuit Is playing it safe on micro wave ( even though it 40 clams for the arc fault breaker)but what about standard height ? And any recommendations for finish. Do I mount a box then have carpenters cut out back of cabinets then do a add a depth with cover on cabinet? Sounds simple but just haven't done much residential. Thanks again

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I always install a box and add an add a depth ring. It is cleaner

bI959.jpg

JDB3

I normally set a box around 75" off floor towards right side (as far as I can). Last one, though, they furred the cabinet above the range out over 3" !! Lucky that the guy setting the cabinet, took my box out of the wall, cut the correct size hole for a pop-in (re-model) box, and pulled my wire through !

peter d

There is almost no reason I would ever use a POS handy box. :rant:

Curse all of you that use them. :p

My preference is for a deep 4" square, but I have been known to use a deep handy box too. That being said, I hate handy boxes. There really is no reason why they should exist. :happyno:

edlee

My preference is for a deep 4" square, but I have been known to use a deep handy box too. That being said, I hate handy boxes. There really is no reason why they should exist. :happyno:

Duplex recep on a steel post in a basement........switch mounted horizontally under a bar countertop to turn on the rope lights......come on, handy boxes can be great!

peter d

Duplex recep on a steel post in a basement........switch mounted horizontally under a bar countertop to turn on the rope lights......come on, handy boxes can be great!

They do have a place, as long as we're talking about the 2 1/8" deep ones. ;)

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I prefer to stub out the wire, have them pull it through the back of the cabinet, then I install an old work box. Unless they plan on using cheap cabinets with a an 1/4" back panel. If I find out afterward then I have to use a 3/4" board to fill the gap and use a metal box with mounting screws through the earflaps.

My gears are turning now....has anybody split the recep and switched the other half for a driver for led under cabinet lights? Trying to maximize these arc fault breakers but don't really want much if anything else on microwave circuit.

jumper

My gears are turning now....has anybody split the recep and switched the other half for a driver for led under cabinet lights? Trying to maximize these arc fault breakers but don't really want much if anything else on microwave circuit.

If this micro is a cord and plug connected micro/range hood combo, the circuit must be an individual/dedicated circuit. 422.16(B)(4)

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician

If this micro is a cord and plug connected micro/range hood combo, the circuit must be an individual/dedicated circuit. 422.16(B)(4)

You can still do the split recep thing, but you just have to feed one with the dedicated circuit for the micro then the other comes off the lighting circuit for the kitchen.

That keeps you from adding any additional AFCI circuits, which appears to be your concern, greenjourneyman.

Status
Not open for further replies.