Source for old Challenger panel equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freshta

My real estate agent client just had a home inspection done. The main panel on the side of the house is missing the dead front cover and the inspector noted it. He is supposed to close on the house within a few days. He sent me a pic along with the panel Cat. no. I told him he may be in trouble because it would be difficult if not impossible to find the entire panel let alone the cover. He says this is unacceptable.:ashamed::lol: Anyway, does anyone know a source for old equipment like this? I know its a longshot, but I thought I'd ask. I've already googled and binged...lol.

Thanks,

Tony

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I've never found a source, but would probably make a good little business. I've seen guys go down to sheet metal shops and have one make, but remember it's supposed to be of the same gauge material, not sheet metal or aluminum.

Freshta

Yep...thats what I was thinking.

Yep...thats what I was thinking.

He mentioned doing something like that as well and he didn't like that I told him that anything within the panel and including the panel had to be UL approved and that bending and cutting sheet metal didn't cut it.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Try Southland in Burlington, NC. 336-227-1486. They have a lot of old stuff.

cpinetree

Be aware if it is a Challenger Main breaker panel, many insurance companies will not insure the house.
I think there are a few threads about the Challenger, FPE, Zinsco and insurance companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.