What Does This Mean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This was in the instructions for a towel warmer

The unit has to be connected to a power-supply circuit equipped with an omni-polar disconnection electrical system, with a distance among contacts of 1/8”

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
all conductors must be disconnected with a 1/8" air gap.

non fused 3 pole 240vac disconnect should do nicely....
and you can use the disconnect lever for a towel hook.

remember the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy? i think towels are covered there...

They supply a digital t-stat with the unit- look at the pdf. The disconnect will be a toggle switch at most

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I like Charlie's answer. Along the same lines, I think it also means you are the only electrician that has ever read the instructions:)

After looking through the instructions, I think "omni-polar disconnection electrical system, with a distance among contacts of 1/8” is engineer speak for a "wire nut".

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
A switch capable of disconnecting both the phase and neutral.

Found this:

G. The unit should be connected to the electric supply line by means of an omnipolar switch with a
minimum contact opening of 3 mm. An omnipolar switch is a ''Double pole isolating switch'', i.e.
a switch capable of disconnecting both on phase and neutral. This means that when the switch
is opened, both contacts are disconnected.

link: http://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=34391

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Found this:

G. The unit should be connected to the electric supply line by means of an omnipolar switch with a
minimum contact opening of 3 mm. An omnipolar switch is a ''Double pole isolating switch'', i.e.
a switch capable of disconnecting both on phase and neutral. This means that when the switch
is opened, both contacts are disconnected.

link: http://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=34391

Yeah that is what I stated above-- a dp switch-- again why the redundancy in saying a "dp isolating switch"

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Yeah that is what I stated above-- a dp switch-- again why the redundancy in saying a "dp isolating switch"
The instructions are written by an Italian with little knowledge of U.S. wiring standards. He is simply covering his but for ETL listing as the unit is dual voltage rated.

mwm1752

Flag after flag after flag -- doesn't need to have a dedcated circuit but in some cases up to 1200w? not responsibel for everything that could go wrong? I usually see gfi protection required with towel warmers & specific do not place locations -- but ETL listed --

Status
Not open for further replies.