Irreversible crimps in PVC Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aledrell

General contractor wall saw cutting for some plumbing hit 2 - 2inch PVC panel feeds for neighboring suites. Since this is the GC's fault and coming out of his pocket I want to help him save as much money as I can but also cover myself per the code in the process. So my question is are irreversible crimps with shrink tube allowed per NEC, assuming conduit fill isn't an issue?
I'm not a code book thumper like some but I have always been taught that we don't do that. Just trying to avoid all new wire cost. Thx for your help.

jumper

Nope.

300.15 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, or Fittings —Where Required.
A box shall be installed at each outlet and switch
point for concealed knob-and-tube wiring.
Fittings and connectors shall be used only with the specific
wiring methods for which they are designed and listed.
Where the wiring method is conduit, tubing, Type AC
cable, Type MC cable, Type MI cable, nonmetallic-sheathed
cable, or other cables, a box or conduit body shall be installed
at each conductor splice point
, outlet point, switch point, junction
point, termination point, or pull point, unless otherwise
permitted in 300.15(A) through (L).

tkb

Splicing with crimps and shrink tubing is acceptable but it must be in a properly sized junction box that remains accessible.

Aledrell

Floor box

Floor box

So would a PVC floor jbox be acceptable even if it's the back room of a neighboring suite?

JFletcher

If the conductors were rated for direct bury, could they be spliced with an approved kit and just filled in? if not, you're gonna have to pull new feeds, or create a splice box in the concrete.

jumper

If the conductors were rated for direct bury, could they be spliced with an approved kit and just filled in?

Not IMO. I am pretty sure those DB splices have to be buried in dirt.

300.5(E) Splices and Taps. Direct-buried conductors or cables
shall be permitted to be spliced or tapped without the use of
splice boxes. The splices or taps shall be made in accordance
with 110.14(B).

iwire

Staff member
So if you replace the wire? Anything against installing aluminum to save $?

Code wise or ethically?

Code wise nothing wrong if it will fit.

Ethically in my opinion that is up to the owner of the conduit and conductors. Most likely the landlord.

I would not do a cheap job to save the GC money because if your repair fails you will be on the hook for it not the GC.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Code wise or ethically?

Ethically in my opinion that is up to the owner of the conduit and conductors. Most likely the landlord.

I would not do a cheap job to save the GC money because if your repair fails you will be on the hook for it not the GC.

:thumbsup:

jap>

Aledrell

AL

AL

Code wise or ethically?

I understand what your saying. The landlord is involved, just wanted to be able to present options.

The wiring is over 30 years old, neutral and ground are far under sized by today's standards. so if brought up to code in that respect I think the AL will out last the current equipment. Thx for the response.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
I would not replace copper with aluminium , the GC broke it, fix it properly because your name and guarantee will be on it. JMO

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I agree with the others, repair the conduit and repull. Let the landlord and GC determine if they want aluminum or copper, assuming aluminum would even fit. I'm curious, did they cut entirely through the conduit and all the wires or just nick a few?

kwired

Electron manager
When someone runs a post hole digger through their pivot or well underground we butt splice and heat shrink the conductors and use a conduit splice kit to repair the conduit, never to be seen again.

Your situation, we would repair conduit and pull new wire.
Same here.

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I understand what your saying. The landlord is involved, just wanted to be able to present options.

The wiring is over 30 years old, neutral and ground are far under sized by today's standards. so if brought up to code in that respect I think the AL will out last the current equipment. Thx for the response.

What size wires and conduit are we talking about here? How long are the feeders?

Status
Not open for further replies.