Arc-flash labels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken9876

When are arc flash labels from 70E required to be installed? I think POSHA applies in my case and I think that they have adopted 70 and 70E as their electrical safety standard.

cornbread

From 130.5 (c) Equipment sucha s switchboars, panelboards, industrial control panels, meter socket enclosures, and other motor control centers that are in other than dwelling units, and are likley to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while eneergized, shall be filed marked with a label containing all the following.....

1. At least 1 of the following
a. Avaible incident energy & workig distance
b. Min arc rate clothing
c. Required leve of PPE
d. Highest hazard/risk cat

2. Nom sys voltage

3. Arc flash boundary

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
When are arc flash labels from 70E required to be installed?
Whenever a person is working on energized equipment or parts, they must be able to determine the proper amount of PPE. This applies to all situations, even if it is the removal of a wirenut from an energized circuit in a 4"square box.

Most people restrict labels to larger components (e.g. disconnect switches and bigger) that are likely to require actions such as examination and testing. Eight years ago we used to only put labels on large ampacity feeder equipment (e.g. switch gear and distribution panels). About 5 years ago we added large branch circuit equipment (e.g. MCC vertical sections and branch panels). In the past 2 years we are seeing more request for labeling just about anything where a volt meter may be used, such as motor and machine LOTO disconnects, custom control panels, and even some 120V operator panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.