10 minute presentation, any topic ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

BNI group will show up on your favorite search engine as, I beleive,
Business Network International, and will show up here in a search as well.

"GT" spill the beans, how did it go, Do tell :)

StreamlineGT

It went great, I just talked about a few things that I do that most contractors don't. Computer generated invoices while you wait, computer generated layout plans, computer generated panel legends on every service upgrade or panel change. Stupid things that might not make a difference to them, but just things that mean a lot to me. I also went over some jobs I have been doing lately. Nothing elaborate, but I did get a job offer out of it from a guest who was attending....... which will be another thread if the time comes.

bjp_ne_elec

BNI - buisness networking..... sorta like asking... what is amway....?:D

www.bni.com

Thanks - I actually googled it before I saw your response. Looking it over, I don't see the sense (maybe I'm missing something) of only allowing one of each "type" of business. So if you have one GC and one EC in a chapter, that's it. Seems like it would limit your networking. Am I missing something?

Thanks - I actually googled it before I saw your response. Looking it over, I don't see the sense (maybe I'm missing something) of only allowing one of each "type" of business. So if you have one GC and one EC in a chapter, that's it. Seems like it would limit your networking. Am I missing something?
You may look at it as limiting, but the reality is, if there were 5 ECs and 1 GC in the group, how would you ever get any referrals. The idea is that you are limited to exclusivity. Every week, you get up and give a 60 second commercial about what you do, and what you are looking for in a customer.
Besides, I get a lot of referrals from my GC, and my Painter, and my Decorater, and my Decorater's husband which owns a property management company, and in turn, I have an exclusive sign company, press company, chirporacter, etc...

Networking is awesome. When I hear someone say "I need..." I can ususally give them a business card... the same is true in the reverse.
We (Swartz Electric) have probably done over $200,000 in business (both ways: me to them, and them to me) in our BNI group this year.

I have contractors that say: "Greg probably has someone, lets ask him..." So, it brings credibility right away.

The other thing, is that there are multiple chapters in a given area. If they do not have an EC, you are allowed to visit. Bring your badge, and you are not only welcomed in, but people now know you exist... and since you are there, you are anticipated to be the best at what you do. You are expected to be the best too...

If there are 5 ECs in a group, and they give 5 - 10min presentations over 5 weeks time (1 per week)... How can they not say something that they do better than the other EC? They are going to cross lines sometime.

Exclusivity is the key.

The way BNI looks at things, each new member means about $25k in business per chapter. We are looking for 23 new members this year. The $25k in business is: Doing business inside the group, and giving business to the group from yourself or others. The concept is "Givers gain." The more you give, the more you gain.

I have (over the last 3 quarters) been the top referrer in my group. And I have received the second most amount of referrals, but the top most amount $$$ in the group... I refer a lot. People know me... I get referred a lot.

If they know you, like you, and trust you... they'll use you!

ohm

You may look at it as limiting, but the reality is, if there were 5 ECs and 1 GC in the group, how would you ever get any referrals. The idea is that you are limited to exclusivity. Every week, you get up and give a 60 second commercial about what you do, and what you are looking for in a customer.
Besides, I get a lot of referrals from my GC, and my Painter, and my Decorater, and my Decorater's husband which owns a property management company, and in turn, I have an exclusive sign company, press company, chirporacter, etc...

Networking is awesome. When I hear someone say "I need..." I can ususally give them a business card... the same is true in the reverse.
We (Swartz Electric) have probably done over $200,000 in business (both ways: me to them, and them to me) in our BNI group this year.

I have contractors that say: "Greg probably has someone, lets ask him..." So, it brings credibility right away.

The other thing, is that there are multiple chapters in a given area. If they do not have an EC, you are allowed to visit. Bring your badge, and you are not only welcomed in, but people now know you exist... and since you are there, you are anticipated to be the best at what you do. You are expected to be the best too...

If there are 5 ECs in a group, and they give 5 - 10min presentations over 5 weeks time (1 per week)... How can they not say something that they do better than the other EC? They are going to cross lines sometime.

Exclusivity is the key.

The way BNI looks at things, each new member means about $25k in business per chapter. We are looking for 23 new members this year. The $25k in business is: Doing business inside the group, and giving business to the group from yourself or others. The concept is "Givers gain." The more you give, the more you gain.

I have (over the last 3 quarters) been the top referrer in my group. And I have received the second most amount of referrals, but the top most amount $$$ in the group... I refer a lot. People know me... I get referred a lot.

If they know you, like you, and trust you... they'll use you!

Great idea Greg, I'm trying to do what you described in my area. I'm calling it a Builders Guild and will only allow people to join if they're sponsored and agree to the highest standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.