parking lot light

Status
Not open for further replies.

nafis

Hi there
Here is my situation , its really getting so slow for me , my specialty is residential I did not do much commercial any way I decide to take what ever come in the way to make buck. I have been called to look at some parking lot lights .

The lights on 45amp breaker and contactor made by cutler hammer # C30CNE
The light is made by TECH light and blast type is CHA-HPF, the light blub type is MH 175 w. Any way the lights are connected in daisy chain . the first light turns on but its too dim and the rest of the three light is not lit at all .

What I have done checked the contactor out put was 240v

I over ride the contactor and I checked at each light and there is 240v and .9amp
I unscrew the first dim light bulb I notice there is dark spot in the middle of the light bulb .i also checked for short circuit and lose neutral nothing seems to be unusually.
I am puzzled by why there is .9 amps when the light is not even on.

Can you please direct me if I am missing something. What should I look for

thanks

Last edited:

Pullnwire

Occupation
Electrician, Business Owner, SME and Trade Instructor
The ballast will draw current without the lamp being lit. Try replacing the lamp first, and then go for a ballast. I always change lamps when I change the ballast just because. I also will change the lamp when the arc tube is black all the way across. It will stark blackening from the ends toward the center. If its half black or more, it goes in the trash. This is for metal halide, not HPS.

emahler

replace all the lamps....it's not like christmas lights...they are run in parallel, not series...do you have power at the base of each pole? correct voltage?

if yes, replace the lamps....if they don't work, replace the ballast...the only wild card is if each pole has their own fuses...possibly in-line in the base or in a terminal block in the fixture head...

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Override the contactor.
Check power at the bottom of the contactor.
Go out to your first light and check power in the handhole if you like.
Jump in a lift, measure open circuit voltage in lamp socket.
If low or none at all, verify power is correct to ballast.
If power is correct, change ballast and install fresh lamp.
Move to your next light and repeat.

Open circuit voltage tables.
http://www.advancetransformer.com/uploads/resources/hid-troubleshooting-guide.pdf

cparrott1984

Hi there
Here is my situation , its really getting so slow for me , my specialty is residential I did not do much commercial any way I decide to take what ever come in the way to make buck. I have been called to look at some parking lot lights .

The lights on 45amp breaker and contactor made by cutler hammer # C30CNE
The light is made by TECH light and blast type is CHA-HPF, the light blub type is MH 175 w. Any way the lights are connected in daisy chain . the first light turns on but its too dim and the rest of the three light is not lit at all .

What I have done checked the contactor out put was 240v

I over ride the contactor and I checked at each light and there is 240v and .9amp
I unscrew the first dim light bulb I notice there is dark spot in the middle of the light bulb .i also checked for short circuit and lose neutral nothing seems to be unusually.
I am puzzled by why there is .9 amps when the light is not even on.

Can you please direct me if I am missing something. What should I look for

thanks

1. You are losing voltage some where. it sounds like in the pole there is a lose connection. Some times mice and squirrels like to nest in poles and they chew the wires

2. These lights are old. You should check the wiring to make sure connections are tight. Check the ballast's and light bulbs to make sure they are working correctly.

Let me know what you find out!

emahler

dear emhaler

to answer your question yes i do have the correct voltage at each base and that is 240v

then it's a lamp and/or ballast or an inline fuse...if you can't find a fuse, change the lamps....if they don't ignite, change the ballast...simple...

nafis

billing address

billing address

yes guys you may send your invoice to:

1600 Pennsylvania avenue
washington, d.c.

its the big, white house on the hill
they are sending mony left and right

i really appreciated your advice and do not for get to look at my new job offer please please...

Status
Not open for further replies.