Application of sections 725 and 800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per 2002 NEC:

Does NEC 725 cover category 5, 6, 7, etc. data cabling defined as 'power limited circuits'? No conduit required generally.

NEC 800 covers telephone wiring (not VOIP and not data wiring cat 5 etc). Per 800.48 if in a raceway it needs to be installed in accordance with section 300. Would require raceways if used (cable tray is not a raceway per NEC) to be electrically continuous and mechanically continuous per 300.10 and 300.12.

We have conduit serving telephone and data outlets run above ceiling to wire mesh cable tray in corridor but not physically attached to the tray. These do not qualify as ?short sections of raceway? as they range from 15 to 30 feet. Seems like sections 800 and subsequently 300 require these conduits to be bonded to the cable tray in the corridor if they contain telephone wiring, but if only cat 5 wiring it is not necessary. Is this a correct statement?

If the telephone wiring was not run in this conduit I don?t see where the bonding is required.

People are questioning the need to bond because it is low voltage wiring. The code says telephone wiring is at 48 volts dc and up to 130 volts dc when ringing. I don?t know what voltage the cat 5 wiring is; cabling is rated for 300 volts.

Thanks

TRK

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There has been some debate on which article covers data systems...this was cleared up in the 2008 code and Article 800 applies.

Protection against what exactly?

Protection against what exactly?

Is the conduit bonding to protect against electric shock from the telephone wiring only or also the data wiring? Or is it to protect from something else?

Thanks for your input, I will have to get a copy of the 2008.

Troy

Status
Not open for further replies.