All I need is another 6/10ths of an amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
and this lamp and this chair and this...

Anyone know the story behind this fuse? Also note the concave end.

5and6tenths.jpg

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Rejection type fuses, for disconnects or fuseholders with higher AIC ratings, keeps you from putting 10K AIC fuses in a system requiring a higher short circuit rating. The 5 amp fuses were probably used for protection of a small motor or piece of equipment.

480sparky

Isn't the reduced diameter of the 'bottom' end of the fuse part of a rejection feature? I don't think the concave end of the one has any purpose or function.... just a result of the manufacturing process.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Isn't the reduced diameter of the 'bottom' end of the fuse part of a rejection feature? I don't think the concave end of the one has any purpose or function.... just a result of the manufacturing process.

Sorry, I just scrolled over and seen the one Chris was talking about, I figured he knew about the rejection feature.:smile:

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I've seen a 5 6/10 rating in a midget fuse, but not in the full size, not saying they don't make it, just havn't seen one.

I have never seen it. This fuse is soldered at both ends instead of the press and crimp caps that are standard. Looks like it was made with human hands.

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
This one is so easy........

This one is so easy........

The concave end is there so that blind folks don't overfuse their 5A circuits by putting in a 5 6/10th amp fuse if by some chance the braille dots have fallen off.

Status
Not open for further replies.