Em power and normal power in sam raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrauss

Hi I am on a job were the site lighting has emergency power and normal power in the same raceway . Is there any code issues I should be aware of ? The voltage is the same.

Joe Villani

Is the site lighting actual emergency power as require by building code?

Typically the emergency lighting requirement ends at the exterior of the exit doors, usually accomplished by battery pack type lighting.

I am just asking because there is a fine line between an actual emergency system versus a legally required standby system, most confuse the two and just call them emergency.

jkrauss

The site is a data center the em power is from a emergency switchboard backed up by a ATS (generator).the job is part of a transportation system.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The site is a data center the em power is from a emergency switchboard backed up by a ATS (generator).the job is part of a transportation system.
Still cannot make the distinction from here, without assumption. Is it a legally-required emergency system? If it is, you are likely in violation of 700.10(B).

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If the standby power were for the actual computers and the transportation system would be shut down in a hazardous (to life) way if the computers failed, then it might well be emergency power, or critical operations power, or whatever.
Since the OP refers to just lighting, even though it is for the data center, I agree that mixing would not be a problem.

iwire

Staff member
If the standby power were for the actual computers and the transportation system would be shut down in a hazardous (to life) way if the computers failed, then it might well be emergency power, or critical operations power, or whatever.

In that case I would think they would be 'legally required' article 701 and still can be mixed.

david

Hi I am on a job were the site lighting has emergency power and normal power in the same raceway . Is there any code issues I should be aware of ? The voltage is the same.

You need to ask the design professional,
Nothing says that the normal egress lighting for an exit has to be mounted to the building.

If for instance the parking lot light is providing normal lighting by an exit instead of a wall pack.

I do no of any requirement that dictates that a pole fixture cannot provide the correct level of lighting to be considered egress lighting. This came up on a rear exit at final a while back.
The loss of the panel for the wall packs no emergency lighting, yet when the pole lights where lost the emergency gen kicked on. The pole lights provided enough normal lighting source to be considered egress lighting.

iwire

Staff member
You need to ask the design professional,
Nothing says that the normal egress lighting for an exit has to be mounted to the building.

If for instance the parking lot light is providing normal lighting by an exit instead of a wall pack.

I do no of any requirement that dictates that a pole fixture cannot provide the correct level of lighting to be considered egress lighting. This came up on a rear exit at final a while back.
The loss of the panel for the wall packs no emergency lighting, yet when the pole lights where lost the emergency gen kicked on. The pole lights provided enough normal lighting source to be considered egress lighting.

I am going to disagree here, if the lights are not required egress lighting they can not be added to an emergency supply. They would be optional.

In what scenario are parking lot fixtures required egress lighting?

If they where required they had better be equipped with re-strike lamps as well.

david

I am going to disagree here, if the lights are not required egress lighting they can not be added to an emergency supply. They would be optional.

In what scenario are parking lot fixtures required egress lighting?

If they where required they had better be equipped with re-strike lamps as well.

The emergency lighting only is required to continue during the cool down recovery of the normal lighting source for those short time outages, and they did, the design engineer used the placement of the pole light to act as the egress on back side of the building,
Do you see a violation in that design?

There was one pole (two light) that came on during an outage that provided egress lighting during the outage if i remember correctly it was not an HID fixture

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.