Reliability of Hy-Press Butt Splices (in Hospital)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm changing out the switchgear in the basement of a large hospital and the customer is opposed to "splices". I think they imagine red wire nuts when they hear the word "splice" and not the hydraulic hypress connectors I imagine.

There are 4 loads above the lower level (2nd - 5th Floors) that I need to re-feed. It's a major project to set up a tugger on the 5th floor of a hospital to pull a new 500' feeder (4 #300KCMIL) in, and I need help selling them on the reliability of these splices.

If you disagree with using splices, I'd like to hear those comments too.

:slaphead:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If they want to pay to re-pull the wires that is their prerogative.

I am not a fan of wire nuts in general, but a crimped on splice of the type you are describing is probably stronger than the wire itself.

Ragin Cajun

Hydraulic crimps are excellent. And the cold shrink insulation available now is as good as the original insulation. IMHO.

Be thankful that if they still go with repulling, you will get paid for the extra work!

RC

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I'm changing out the switchgear in the basement of a large hospital and the customer is opposed to "splices". ...

There are 4 loads above the lower level (2nd - 5th Floors) that I need to re-feed. It's a major project to set up a tugger on the 5th floor of a hospital to pull a new 500' feeder (4 #300KCMIL) in, and I need help selling them on the reliability of these splices. ....

My assumption is this is all about the money. You are suggesting a change that will cost less to install?

Q1: What do the job specs say?

Q2: Your bid covers installing per the job specs?

Q3: You are offering a value engineered option?

I wouldn't sell the reliability of the splices. I'd sell the money you will save them and the reduced installation time. Hospitals like reduced installation time. Take one of the kits in with you - They are likely capable of telling the difference between the kit and the wirenuts.

Just as aside. All of my customers spec no used wire and no splices in new installations. For a remodel, where existing conductors can be used for a significant portion of the new work, most will spec thorough testing (hipot/ACVLF). Most will also consider the age and may say, "The conductors are 20 years old - Replace."

ice

This was a bid, so they already paid for it. I can offer up a credit. I'm less concerned about the money and more concerned about removing the "guts" of the panels up on 5th floor to get the tugger on the pipe (it's a patient care area, so I can't bolt anything to the floor) to get the wire pulled up 5 stories.

John120/240

This was a bid, so they already paid for it. I can offer up a credit. I'm less concerned about the money and more concerned about removing the "guts" of the panels up on 5th floor to get the tugger on the pipe (it's a patient care area, so I can't bolt anything to the floor) to get the wire pulled up 5 stories.

Can you take your wire up on the elevator, then let gravity pull it down ? No need for a tugger then.

Besoeker

I'm changing out the switchgear in the basement of a large hospital and the customer is opposed to "splices". I think they imagine red wire nuts when they hear the word "splice" and not the hydraulic hypress connectors I imagine.

There are 4 loads above the lower level (2nd - 5th Floors) that I need to re-feed. It's a major project to set up a tugger on the 5th floor of a hospital to pull a new 500' feeder (4 #300KCMIL) in, and I need help selling them on the reliability of these splices.

If you disagree with using splices, I'd like to hear those comments too.

:slaphead:

I think correctly made splices provide a sound joint. But many of our customer specifications prohibit them. The reasoning is sound enough I suppose. All conductors are uniquely identified by number at both ends. If a conductor disappears into trunking where it then spliced on to another length there there is the possibility of it being incorrectly identified at the other end. And it also eliminates the possibility of a fault in a hidden joint if it is one continuous run.

The new source (switchgear) sits approximately 300' accross the boiler room from the current source. The plan was to have the wire pulled from the new gear to a junction box in the boiler room, then shutdown and demo the old feeder, and pull up the new. It's straight up from the j-box.

If we set the wire upstairs we'd have to pull it down to the j-box and then 300' across the boiler room. Doable, but not ideal. Much longer down time.

Status
Not open for further replies.