Fraternity a Dwelling Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletis

Looking at another fraternity. Real basic, just a bunch of rooms with maybe a microwave plugged in and no central area with permanent provisions for cooking or anything. I'm guessing this is just a commercial motel and no afci rules applying. Am I correct ?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Certainly not a motel since all residents are students and all occupancy is long term except for guests.
The social and "educational" aspects make it interesting, and I would like to see an authoritative discussion.
It is shared communal housing, and I am not sure how the NEC will treat it.
There are both private and common areas.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Looking at another fraternity. Real basic, just a bunch of rooms with maybe a microwave plugged in and no central area with permanent provisions for cooking or anything. I'm guessing this is just a commercial motel and no afci rules applying. Am I correct ?

No permanent provisions for cooking, not a dwelling unit. I have a situation cleared up right now. Specs said, "provide tamper resistant receptacles in all rooms per the NEC." I didn't submit on any. It got kicked back and I pointed out that they were required in dwelling units and this wasn't one. They argued, and I asked if where they wanted me to send the change order for arc fault breakers and relocation of the panels to give residents access. Needless to say, no tamper resistant receptacles.

kwired

Electron manager
210.12(C) covers "Dormitory Units" and requires AFCI in same areas as in a dwelling unit.

I don't see anything in 406.12 that would require tamper resistant receptacles unless this dormitory does meet NEC definition of a dwelling unit, or is a dormitory for a child care facility.

240.24(B) may not require panels to be accessible to occupants if there is continuous maintenance services provided by building management.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
210.12(C) covers "Dormitory Units" and requires AFCI in same areas as in a dwelling unit.

I don't see anything in 406.12 that would require tamper resistant receptacles unless this dormitory does meet NEC definition of a dwelling unit, or is a dormitory for a child care facility.

240.24(B) may not require panels to be accessible to occupants if there is continuous maintenance services provided by building management.

I don't see a 210.12 (C) in my code book (2008) or the one being adopted in 6 months, (2011)

kwired

Electron manager
I don't see a 210.12 (C) in my code book (2008) or the one being adopted in 6 months, (2011)
It is completely new section in 2014. Here is what is says:

(C) Dormitory Units.
All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dormitory unit bedrooms, living rooms, hallways, closets, and similar rooms shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter meeting the requirements of 210.12(A)(1) through (6) as appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.