User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Safety or NOT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Safety or NOT!

For all you claiming that the NEC's main objective is "Safety" tell me this: (and maybe some of you at lighting fixture manufacturing can chime in)
    Why is a recessed light fixture somehow unsafe without the trim installed but is safe with the trim installed? And why would a phone line (hard line) be required in a residence? Regarding these questions and others I am often asking myself: What does this have to do with "Safety". I think all too often it has to do with adding to the pockets of the money grubbers. The wealthy elite care not about live and let live they want more and more and more.
    It is evident that there is in the universe a certain definite amount of electricity. Electricity can neither be created nor destroyed.:confused:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I can think of many recessed fixtures that I would consider a fire hazard if operated without the trims.

The phone line ........... you got me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by switchleg45 View Post
    For all you claiming that the NEC's main objective is "Safety" tell me this: (and maybe some of you at lighting fixture manufacturing can chime in)
    Why is a recessed light fixture somehow unsafe without the trim installed but is safe with the trim installed? And why would a phone line (hard line) be required in a residence? Regarding these questions and others I am often asking myself: What does this have to do with "Safety". I think all too often it has to do with adding to the pockets of the money grubbers. The wealthy elite care not about live and let live they want more and more and more.
    So how was your day?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris kennedy View Post
    So how was your day?
    It does kind of have that 'my day stunk' kind of tone. :grin:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    It does kind of have that 'my day stunk' kind of tone. :grin:
    So he stopped by Moe's Tavern on the way home first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget my favorite.

Why do they allow unfused, unprotected SE cable inside houses?

Game, set and match.
    Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are solely mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of other members of this community. Do not misunderstand them as an encouragement to violate the NEC. Also, don't forget that the NEC is not necessarily the AHJ.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by switchleg45 View Post
    And why would a phone line (hard line) be required in a residence?
    So you can call 911 or the fire dept.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    Well I can think of many recessed fixtures that I would consider a fire hazard if operated without the trims.

The phone line ........... you got me.
    I agree with the reasoning of the trims on can lights.
    As far as the new code of installing at least one hard wired phone line. I was told in a code class that due to so many people going to voice over IP like Vonage it doesn't always have the correct 911 info in-case of emergency. With that said, I know of nothing that requires the HO to have that hard wired line activated. But from a code point of view we have done our job.
    Organized people are people that are just too lazy to look for their stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when the testing lab tests the fixture for whatever tests are applicable, they are done so as an assembly. since the manufacturer's have no interest in selling the fixture without a trim (not to mention the fact that the general population does not use fixtures without the trims), what sense would it make for them to test them or list them for use without the trims ? Do you really have an application where someone wants to install a bunch of fixtures without trims ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nakulak View Post
    when the testing lab tests the fixture for whatever tests are applicable, they are done so as an assembly. since the manufacturer's have no interest in selling the fixture without a trim (not to mention the fact that the general population does not use fixtures without the trims), what sense would it make for them to test them or list them for use without the trims ? Do you really have an application where someone wants to install a bunch of fixtures without trims ?
    Yeah: Pre-paint & mudding. Now if they will just quit painting & muddiing my lamps.
    BB+/BB=?