Sizing Supply Conductors for Overhead Crane System

Status
Not open for further replies.

apelk

Working on an industrial building with multiple overhead crane systems, where multiple cranes are served from runway conductors. In sizing the supply conductors that feed the runway, is it allowable to use Table 610.14A, or is that table reserved for the contact conductors? I can't understand why contact conductors would be able to be sized per that table, but not the supply conductors that feed the contact conductors.

Second, let's say I can use Table 610.14(A), which only gives ampacities for use with 30 or 60 minute motors. I have found out from the manufacturer that they use continuous duty cycle motors. So now do I have to go back to Table 310(B)(16) after all?

The manufacturer did give me an overall required ampacity for each runway system, that I was able to figure out was calculated per 610.14(E)(3). So the question is, which table can I use? It would be nice to be able to use smaller wire...

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Willing to help, but no experience in this area. Going to wait and see if someone more adept chimes in. In the meantime, this will serve as a topic "bump". ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.