Feeder Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

triplex15

Can you install 2 different feeder circuits for sub panels in the same conduit. The circuits will originate from the main house service and the sub panels will be right next to each other. Thank You

RUWired

You'll have to watch the maximum amount of current carrying conductors allowed in the conduit. Where are the sub panels located?

triplex15

The sub panels are located in a detached garage and the one sub panel will feed the garage and the other sub panel will be used for the emergency back up generator circuits.

RUWired

You'll be ok if the feeders are optional standby feeders, they are allowed to be in the same conduit as other wiring, but if its emergency back-up wiring then no as Cadpoint quoted.

dana1028

Could You Back that up with a Code reference?

Here's a shot.

700.1 - Scope
"The provisions of this article apply to ....required facilities."

FPN #3 & 4 provide additional information including the Life Safety Code.

I could be mistaken, but as far as I know none of these references include a dwelling unit as a 'reguired fracility.'

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The sub panels are located in a detached garage and the one sub panel will feed the garage and the other sub panel will be used for the emergency back up generator circuits.
Why do I have that deja vu feeling?

Lemme guess: 2-0 and #8 (which should be #6)?

cadpoint

Originally Posted by dana1028
Here's a shot.

700.1 - Scope
"The provisions of this article apply to ....required facilities."

FPN #3 & 4 provide additional information including the Life Safety Code.

I could be mistaken, but as far as I know none of these references include a dwelling unit as a 'reguired fracility.'

merriam-webster

It's just amazing sometimes what the dictionary says what a definition is at times.

I know I've said on the job, I?m going to use the facilities, be it the real thing, portable or the hedge line.

I think the OP should get a bead on or learn of "things" from their Local Authority as to the true desired requirements that need to meet.

They might also read up on Annex H,(nec 08') to understand what they might be up against when dealing with the AHJ a fine example is 80.13.

Generators are in the Index, the OP can look and search their defined scope of work there. Just use that one article, maybe I don't know depends on the Local AHJ.

If the local AHJ wants to wholesale say something, listen, if they say their position will be such and so, than listen and learn. But a blank statement made here, might not be how your Local AHJ uses or even applies any Code articles in respects to your area.

No I?m not buying it, if one AHJ wants to not consider 700, ok then don't go to 700.2 and don't even consider the Optional aspects of the install (later in the articles).

While a residential install of a generator might be considered for emergency use only, by the owner, the owner knows when they will use it. But again remember that word play, and the use of emergency is not part of the Code in respects to residential.

It's frankly (IMO) not clear enough to make a clear and seperate isolation of this one system, or now a faclities, via two differrent articles, and the slit of hand word play.

Good luck explaining the legal pro's or acessment to the home owner that the inspector might broadside you with.

Good Luck with your install!

Status
Not open for further replies.