low voltage terminal block needs a panel, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I discovered while walking through one of our secondary facilities, a terminal block on the wall with no panel enclosure at all.

It seemed wrong to me so I asked the manager about it, he assured me that it was low amperage and only connecting telephone and internet lines.

So my question is, even a low amperage terminal block needs an enclosure, correct?

If it is just signal wiring, does that make a difference?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
IME, it is very common to see telephone style pushdown blocks mounted on a wall without benefit of any enclosure at all. usually in a closet or other room of some sort.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
But yer 110v needs a can
480 needs a real stout can with labels on it
Nothing under 50 or so
044c79ff2016b778e0ddca1b40bec5c0.jpg

In belief, man can do anything

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I discovered while walking through one of our secondary facilities, a terminal block on the wall with no panel enclosure at all.

It seemed wrong to me so I asked the manager about it, he assured me that it was low amperage and only connecting telephone and internet lines.

So my question is, even a low amperage terminal block needs an enclosure, correct?

If it is just signal wiring, does that make a difference?
Put out cones and some yellow Caution Tape; best way there is to make anything safe.

Upnorth

IME, it is very common to see telephone style pushdown blocks mounted on a wall without benefit of any enclosure at all. usually in a closet or other room of some sort.

Quite common. However, don't forget that telephone ringer voltage could be as much as 110 VAC at 20Hz (or as little as 40VAC). I have used "66" punch-downs with hinged or snap-on plastic covers over the terminals, or put them in a locked cabinet/room, or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.