I hate this time of year: Outdoor Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeltaFarce

New User
One issue that I always have, and gets worse when it gets warm and people start partying outside, is outdoor lights on 2-story houses.

Everyone wants a light high up at the second floor level, but wants the switch near a doorway that is 30' away and around a corner from the light.

Other than piping on the outside of the house, our only option is running a cable from the switch, down to the basement, then up a chase to the attic, then back down the outside wall to the light location. It becomes a pain, and expensive. And when you give the estimate to the customer, they think you are robbing them :lol:

I will often try to sell them a motion light mounted directly behind a receptacle on the second floor. Much more cost efficient.

Anyone else hate this type of thing?

John120/240

I try to emphasize the difficulty of changing bulbs up high. If they insist locate the fixture near a window that opens. Is there a wireless option available ? Could you use a C-Fan remote, if you had a box big enough for the receiver ?

Don't let a negative attitude affect your response to the customer. It's an opportunity to make money thats why your in business. Best of Luck

Ravenvalor

I would consider this a positive....

Any customer request is an opportunity for growth for you, the electrical industry and the customer.

Impress upon the customer the value of having a toggle switch inside the home for providing convenience and security. Toggle switch controlled outside lights are a great investment for any home owner.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
One issue that I always have, and gets worse when it gets warm and people start partying outside, is outdoor lights on 2-story houses.

Everyone wants a light high up at the second floor level, but wants the switch near a doorway that is 30' away and around a corner from the light.

Other than piping on the outside of the house, our only option is running a cable from the switch, down to the basement, then up a chase to the attic, then back down the outside wall to the light location. It becomes a pain, and expensive. And when you give the estimate to the customer, they think you are robbing them :lol:

I will often try to sell them a motion light mounted directly behind a receptacle on the second floor. Much more cost efficient.

Anyone else hate this type of thing?
I hear you !!! When you can't conveniently get wiring down to a switch on a lower floor try some of these products : http://www.smarthome.com/insteon.html . If the lighting load isn't that big you can tap off a local circuit on the 2nd floor and switch it from a lower floor. I've used these products before but only in a pinch and have been successful. You can locate a remote switch in the attic and replace one of the switches in the 1st fl foyer with a keypad. It will cost you a few bucks but will save you a lot of labor and conduit on the outside of the house. But, I should warn you, if you've never used these before there is a learning curve and you have to pay for your education.

DeltaFarce

New User
Thanks for the replies. I have to admit, part of this thread was just me doing a little complaining, but I got over it.

I have no problem doing anything that the customer wants. But the one issue with these outside lights is that the customer usually doesn't realize how much work is involved so they always complain about the price. And I am talking about long time customers who have had no issue with price for any other work I've done. They think the light is going to be a $200 installation so when they see the estimate they get sticker shock. But that's par for the course sometimes.

Thanks for the link to the remote equipment. It's something to think about, but (like with everything) it has it's disadvantages too.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yeah I have used the Lutron wireless switches in these situations also. Instyall the switch either on the second floor or in the attic and have a wireless remote switch on the first floor.

Daja7

I have used a company called Adhoc electronics, they make a wireless switch that requires no battery. place the receiver. (small item) in or on the box for light and put the switch any where within 100 ft works great

Status
Not open for further replies.