Ufer grounding Min Requirements and GEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that the minimum requirement a GEC for ground rods is a #6 because a ground rod cannot displace anymore electric than that of the #6 wire. So it got me thinking, what makes the minimum requirement of a Ufer GEC to be a #4 minimum. I would think it would go off the same theory, the amount of rebar displaced under the building is much more, but less conductive of that of a ground rod? Does anyone know how the code panel came up with this?

To my understanding is in within code compliance to run a #4 ufer, hit my ground rods (2- 6' or more apart) and then tap onto my 1/0 GEC from the water pipe to the first means of disconnect. Unfortunatly around here (Fort Lauderdale, Fl) I just failed inspection using a 1/0 ufer for 400A main service due to the fact the inspectors look at the plans and our engineers do not understand 250.66B (concrete encased electrode not required to be larger than #4) As far as I see it right now its just plain overkill, I'm I looking at this correctly? Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yes you can use #6 to the 2 rods and then tie onto the 1/0. I am not sure I understand fully what you are asking. If the plans call for 1/0 then you have to use 1/0

Ufer Min requirements

Ufer Min requirements

So it got me thinking, what makes the minimum requirement of a Ufer GEC to be a #4 minimum. I would think it would go off the same theory, the amount of rebar displaced under the building is much more, but less conductive of that of a ground rod? Does anyone know how the code panel came up with this?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
#4 is the maximum size required GEC to a concrete encased electrode not the minimum. Also the #4 minimum is for when you make a CCC using a copper conductor, if you had the proper minimum size and length of rebar then you would not need to use the 20' of #4 copper to make the CEE. The GEC to the CEE is chosen from T250.66.

iwire

Staff member
Why is it that a Ufer only needs a #4 max. Without guessing can anyone show some numbers on this?

I don't think you can get a firm answer but I would say it's the same reason the max size needed for a ground rod is 6 AWG.

You just can't make a connection to 'dirt' that is going to require more than these max sizes.

iwire

Staff member
That would depend on the local jurisdiction, no? I am always interested in seeing a legal mechanism that requires more than the code requires because an engineer graced the scene with his or her presence.

In my area inspectors only inspect for code compliance but the argument is that once plans have been submitted and approved any deviation from those plans would require they go back to the building department to be approved again. There is a certain amount of logic in that.

electricalist

Grounds rods are a suplemental GEC which would be in addition to the cold water, creating a GES. When no water lines are avaliable a ground rod can suplement another ground rod to create a GES. A CEE is a GES by its self.
With 2 ground rods ,cold water and a ufer, you have what is called profit loss.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Grounds rods are a suplemental GEC which would be in addition to the cold water, creating a GES. When no water lines are avaliable a ground rod can suplement another ground rod to create a GES. A CEE is a GES by its self.
With 2 ground rods ,cold water and a ufer, you have what is called profit loss.

Profit loss, I like that LOL. :lol:

ritelec

reasearching…….

200 amp service………(house)
was...
#4 to water
two ground rods with a #6

now..
Installed CEE #4
still #4 to water
two ground rods not needed (unless inspectors asking)

The question is, does the water system still get bonded the same way (size conductor)?

thank you.

ritelec

Wondering…..

with this double #4 bonding, have the manufacturers been adding an additional larger lug to their neutral bar ?

Status
Not open for further replies.