Transfer Switch Grounding Electrode

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I have a Pedestal service point with an automatic transfer switch about 6' away. The neutrals are not switched and are all terminated together in the switch. Since this transfer switch is service rated with a main breaker and mounted remotely from the service, is a grounding electrode system required? I'm thinking yes because the transfer switch is viewed as a separate structure. As a side note, does the generator need a ground rod? I think I remember seeing a video from Mike stating that it was not necessary.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have a Pedestal service point with an automatic transfer switch about 6' away. The neutrals are not switched and are all terminated together in the switch. Since this transfer switch is service rated with a main breaker and mounted remotely from the service, is a grounding electrode system required? I'm thinking yes because the transfer switch is viewed as a separate structure. As a side note, does the generator need a ground rod? I think I remember seeing a video from Mike stating that it was not necessary.

Yes a grounding electrode conductor is require at the pedestal and unless the generator specifically calls for a gec then no grounding electrode conductor is reuired

Last edited:

david

Yes a grounding electrode conductor is require at the pedestal and unless the generator specifically calls for a gec then no grounding electrode conductor is reuired

It sounds like the transfer switch is the service disconnect so yes a GES would be required.

I do not think he is asking if a grounding electrode is required at the service pedestal. He is asking if the transfer switch 6 feet from the service is a separate structure and does the transfer switch need a separate grounding electrode.

I would just bond a grounding electrode conductor from the transfer switch to the grounding electrode that are at the service pedestal

iwire

Staff member
I do not think he is asking if a grounding electrode is required at the service pedestal. He is asking if the transfer switch 6 feet from the service is a separate structure and does the transfer switch need a separate grounding electrode.

It certainly could be that, I just don't see enough info to tell.

I would not bother with the expense of a service rated transfer switch if it was not the service disconnect.

The pedestal may just be a meter without a main.

We need more info. :)

david

It certainly could be that, I just don't see enough info to tell.

I would not bother with the expense of a service rated transfer switch if it was not the service disconnect.

The pedestal may just be a meter without a main.

We need more info. :)

I agree, it could be read ether way,

here we are required to have a grounding electrode at a meter pedestal he may still have the option of bonding to electrodes at the meter location

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
He is asking if the transfer switch 6 feet from the service is a separate structure and does the transfer switch need a separate grounding electrode.

Would a separate structure fed with one circuit require a GES?

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
OK Guys......Sorry for the confusion. The pedestal is the service point with a GES and a main breaker. My customer bought a transfer switch that is service rated with a main breaker. My plan is to run the feeder from the pedestal, which now goes directly to a sub panel in the house, to the transfer switch. I would then install a new feeder from the Pedestal along with the generator feeder to the appropriate lugs in the transfer switch. So if the transfer switch needs a GES, I would have two within 6' of each other.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
OK Guys......Sorry for the confusion. The pedestal is the service point with a GES and a main breaker. My customer bought a transfer switch that is service rated with a main breaker. My plan is to run the feeder from the pedestal, which now goes directly to a sub panel in the house, to the transfer switch. I would then install a new feeder from the Pedestal along with the generator feeder to the appropriate lugs in the transfer switch. So if the transfer switch needs a GES, I would have two within 6' of each other.

You don't need two GES systems in my opinion when you're that close together, you just need to tie the GEC from your transfer switch to the GES at the pedestal. In the past when I've had separate structures only a few feet apart, I've driven a couple rods between them and taken the #4 from one building down and across both rods and back up into the other building. Easy deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.