Rough Wire New Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

Boy, when you quit using black pipe I bet that saved you even more.:D:D

When I first saw the "black pipe" I had no idea of when it was used or where it came from so I questioned a much older electrician and got the story.

We still have some of the black pipe in the old houses in the down town area. It was first used for gas lighting and I would guess that it was installed by plumbers ( they did the conduit in those days). When the first electrical was installed about all they needed were lighting circuits so instead of running new conduit or opening the walls for Knob and Tube they used the original gas pipes for the electrical wiring to "save" time and expense.

And a few years later they decided they probably should shut the gas off.:grin::grin::grin: Little joke there.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Other than ceilings, the black pipe I've seen was original for the wiring, and used for exposed sections of K&T whole-house wiring, probably just before the use of BX.

And a few years later they decided they probably should shut the gas off.:grin::grin::grin: Little joke there.
Don't laugh. I've seen fixtures on K&T rewires that were hanging from sealing-type pipe hickeys where the gas was still on.

gndrod

Rope Install

Rope Install

cans, how long roughly on average would it take for one person to wire up a home like this? Just need a guess.
In my younger days, 1000 sf per 8 hours was a good estimate. That was pulling rope into set boxes bonded up.

Also had an inspector for the rough inspection say he wanted all the wires in the boxes to be stripped, spliced and ready for devices, does this sound common to anyone?

He is like most other AHJ's and EC's. If you send a different man on the job, it takes twice as long to figure out the make-up is... because the cabling reference point has been covered up. Make-up and pigtailing is one of the main reasons a good inspector wants to see a completed bonding system before closing-in.

The T&T rocker would sh*t bricks if the strip-out is not done because sheathed NM is near impossible to stuff in a 1 gang. Your boxes will get filled with mud in revenge. rbj

gndrod

Power up

Power up

I've been doing Commercial,Industrial, and Heavy Industrial all my life.

For the guys that can do a house in a day I wonder how much time is spent
on "Punch" "hot-check" and other words to describe turning on the power
and metering all the circuits and devices to make sure everything works.

If the rough is parallel pigtailed in plastic boxes, then powering up is uneventful prior to installing devices. If a breaker trips, check the related branch boxes for stowed shorts and sheetrocker roto damage to the insulation. Then the fun begins.... rbj

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Other than ceilings, the black pipe I've seen was original for the wiring, and used for exposed sections of K&T whole-house wiring, probably just before the use of BX.

quote]

Me too and it was "shocking" to say the least when I learned that green used to be used as a hot.:grin: It seemed much funnier when my brother found out.:D:D

220/221

Also had an inspector for the rough inspection say he wanted all the wires in the boxes to be stripped, spliced and ready for devices, does this sound common to anyone?

I didn't read any farther but you are clearly not an electrical contractor. Of course the boxes have to be made up.

5 days on the rough, 1 day on the service, 3 days on the trim... That is if everything goes smooth with no problems or issues.

DAYAMN. In my tract house days, a 2 man crew ( 1 Jman, 1 App) would rope 2 houses a day including the service. Granted they were only1500' with no recessed lights....but still.

Last edited:

benaround

How else would an inspector check the correct length of ALL conductors? Yes they could be cut shorter later. Again the connection of conductors. The EGC's. The separation of grounded conductors of different circuits. Etc.

How do they do it on comm. jobs where all the branch circuits are run in emt ? At rough

inspection the only thing you see is empty boxes and empty pipes, then at final inspection

everything is trimmed out!!

sparkyjim

I got 80 man hours start to finish. But, it's been so long since I have done a tract home, I have to question my #'s. Plus, what about the smokes, CF's, Surface mounts, sconces, etc, etc,?

Status
Not open for further replies.