residential circuit fault that has me stumped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acadianlion

Yesterday afternoon we had a small thunderstorm. During the storm there was one strong lightning strike near my residence. We lost power for perhaps an hour and half and I would guess from the utility truck activity down the road in front of my house that a breaker on a pole or something of the sort was struck. When I shut my generator down and went back to main power, the circuit in my study that includes the wall lights in the bathroom adjacent were dead. The circuit in my study that is dead includes two wall outlets on the outside wall into which my computer equipment is plugged and one interior wall circuit into which is plugged the dsl power and the router power. One circuit in the bathroom adjacent is dead also, that includes the two lights on opposite sides of the mirror.

The computer and other electrical equipment were all connected to surge protectors and/of battery backup with surge protection. All equipment is now working normally using a heavy extension cord to a different circuit.

I have checked and rechecked all circuit breakers. I have tested all circuit breakers in the panel where the faulty circuit originates and all breakers are showing normal with current flowing through. So, it would appear that I may have lost an outlet or switch in the circuit as I cannot think of another reason for losing the circuit.

Any comments from those of you who are more knowledgeable about this than I?

Thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It is not unusual for a thunderstorm to cause a "break" in a circuit.
With that said, in line with your profile and Forum Rules:

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report.gif
button at the top right corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.