Service Panel Neutral wire and other goodies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raimondi

:? Now, I have been working on electrical wiring for many years, but over the weekend, I had to separate the GFCI from the refrigerator since the new unit was tripping the GFCI. All went well until I touched the refrigerator, a mild shock occurred. Being late, I decided to let it go and check to see what was happening. Next day I took a into the service panel to check the Panel Neutral. What I noticed was the neutral wire that runs from the water main pipe to the panel was missing. Top it off, they grounded (with a green wire) from the neutral to the service entrance connector (which is plastic pipe). I informed my brother to call an electrician to verify that my 24-hour lack of sleep is not seeing these mistakes and to see the cost of this fix since I ran out of time and had to head home. I could use an opinion on this topic. I can provide pictures if you so desire. This is Cook County, so we do not use romax and all work is piped (with some flex cable allowed). So, what I figured needs to be done, is run 100 feet plus of #3 to the water meter and tie the two together. Second, is to drive a cooper pipe into the ground outside and then tie that to the service entrance connector for service panel bonding. I done neutrals way back, I prefer to leave that for those who like to crawl into crawl spaces.

Other hidden goodies I found:
they moved the JB for a light and noticed the pipe would not fit, so they took the wires and stretched it over into the box, to make the light work.
The placed emt over the entrance of the attic opening
One GFCI has a dim light (not sure why)
Broke emt connector
emt on top of of a gas pipe
box over fill.

Any advice?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.