Hospital Door Holds

Status
Not open for further replies.

lost1found

I am trying to figure out if magnetic door holders in a hospital need to be circuited through the life safety branch system. I did find that per NFPA 99 all automatic doors shall be powered by life safety branch but still unclear on door holds.

Any help with NEC or NFPA 99 references would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Assuming these door holders are controlled by the Fire Alarm system you need to read 517.32

In reality it wouldn't matter, they are not required so even if supplied by the Normal Branch it would be fine, nothing is hurt if the doors are shut under power outages

Roger

Last edited:

fmtjfw

Since door holders fail "safe" (close the door) the circuits are not supervised. Power outage also fails safe. The door holders I am familiar with are either 115VAC or 24VDC. The 24VDC are often supplied from the Fire Alarm battery backup.

JFletcher

This article and this one may be of some help to you.

eta: I wouldnt be surprised if modern fire doors also had contacts in the frame to indicate that the door in fact closes when the electromagnetic latch releases, or required a powered closer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.