Wacky things at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Jacob's ladders I sent one to my sons class, with a set of hot gloves and a big screwdriver to start the arch. When the teacher saw it he said"NOOO Wayyy" and went and got one the school had so my son could show his project. The only difference between mine and the schools was the schools had an on off switch, mine had hot gloves and directions to keep kids at a 5' distance and pull the plug if they will not stay that far away.He got an A.

M. D.

Back in the day when trash cans were metal,. I heard tell of a man who hated when dogs pissed on his cans ,.. he set them on matts and hooked them up to some very large capacitors... and waited ,.. He can hardly tell the story he laughs so hard ... then he confesses that it was a rather mean thing to do.

And no,.. it was not me

e57

Not too long after moving into where I now live, I noticed some of the stray cats liked

using an area of my yard as a kitty litter box. Not in my yard kitties ! This is what I came

up with.

One wall switch/ motion sensor combo wired to an air compressor blow down solinoid that

had an adjustable time set on it. I set it outside hooked up to the air compressor,it didn't

take long to start hearing pssssssstttt, meeeoow. Needless to say the problem was taken

care of in a short time. I also scared the wits out of myself a couple times before I took

it apart.
I have a neighbor down the street who has an MS operated ultra-sonic pest thingy. They are supossed to be out of the range of human hearing - but this it just right there.... As you walk by the house you feel a subtle twitch in your inner ear - it's disturbing. For a while I thought I was loosing it.... Then my wife mentioned it... So one day I snuck up to take peak at it. Yep - giant peizo buried in a bush with SW out to a motion sensor.... So the next time I saw the guy I talked to him about it - said he was sick of dogs on his lawn - made it sound like there were hundreds of them... I thought he was nuts! But he agreed to get it sorted to at least out of human range - and he did...

As some of you know I had a rash of break-ins of my truck a few years ago and I now have my truck covered by a number of video cameras... One week-end I was away for the day, and came back to check the video - because my alarm went off after I had left... Just checked the tape to see who or what set it off... I had the video set on motion activated - so everytime someone was infront of my house I got a snapshot of video. Sure - some dope head was looking in my truck window and 'tested' the alarm... But there were also - dogs... Lots of dogs, about a dozen before I left, about 3 dozen before lunch - about a dozen more, and I re-wound it to get a count of a 24 hour period - 78 dogs - all pissing at the same point in some ivy at my walk-way. I looked at the next day 60+, next 70.... So I got on the internet and ordered a "dazer"... I'm not even sure the one I have is legal in the US for ultrasonic levels - the site I got it at is no longer and it took 240V - which I swapped out the T for 120... The wife made me shut it off after a day... And we took out the ivy instead... But every once in awhile for kicks I turn it back on when she's not around. :cool: Even when it's not on - dogs stear clear...

RICK NAPIER

When I was about 14 and started working with my father I got hold of an old metal fire alarm pull station with a few internal modifications and an appliance switch I turn my room lights on and off by pulling the fire alarm station.

hockeyoligist2

One I just built: I got a big honkin' battery charger from one of our old plants. It was made in the '40's, it's covered in rivets with big Westinghouse gauges and rheostat knobs on the door. Looks like a prop right out of Frankenstein.

I wanted to use it as a neat-looking cabinet, but I added some effects: I back-lit the gauges, and took two porcelain insulators from some old PTs and mounted them on top of the cabinet with two stainless rods coming out of them. Then I put a rectified neon sign transformer inside the cabinet connected it to the stainless rods.

Now when you hit a hidden switch, you have a real Frankenstein effect: A Jacobs-Ladder arc of electricity climbs out of the insulators towards the ceiling. Good conversation starter.

-John

For kicks I looked up Jacob's ladder On Wikipedia, found this:

Health hazards

Exposure to an arc-producing device can pose health hazards. In a closed space such as a classroom or home, the continuous arc formation of an open-air Jacob's Ladder will ionize oxygen and nitrogen, which then reforms into reactive molecules such as ozone and nitric oxide. These free radicals can be damaging to the mucous membranes of people near the spark gap. Plants are also susceptible to ozone poisoning.

These hazards are not present when the arc is formed outdoors since the heated ionized gases will rise up into the air and dissipate into the atmosphere. Spark gaps which only intermittently produce short spark bursts are also minimally hazardous because the volume of ions generated is very small.

Arcs can also produce a broad spectrum of wavelengths spanning the visible light and the invisible ultraviolet and infrared spectrum. Very intense arcs generated by means such as arc welding can produce significant amounts of ultraviolet which is damaging to the retina of the observer. These arcs should only be observed through special dark filters which reduce the arc intensity and shield the observer's eyes from the ultraviolet rays.

;)

Sharpie

Well, Let's build a really big Jacob's Ladder then so that we can replenish the hole in the Ozone:grin:

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I have a detached garage that I have the outside fixtures wired through a relay that is pulled in by the garage door opener light circuit.
When my wife pulls into the garage the outside lights stay on long enough for her to get into the house then the go out. I did have to lengthen the delay on the light on the garage door opener to get to the house in time.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
My dad was a Ham Operator and used to come home at noon to call the Roll.
He had a plastic plate with bird feed stuck outside his window for the redbirds to eat and he could watch them. he didnt however like the blackbirds showing up and eating the feed so he screwed 2 wooden pegs into the plate at each end and wrapped 2 individual wires across them (just wide enough for both bird feet to rest on them. he then attached an extension cord to them and ran the cord through the window. when the blackbirds landed on the wire to eat the seed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,he plugged in the extension cord.
Be advised this does more than shock them off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,some come close to catching on fire. he only used it a couple of times before he took it back apart but we chocked one up for creative thinking anyway.

John120/240

meter bank

meter bank

Not really wacky,but; broke one of the lugs on a 200 A meter can.
Too good to throw away, so I put clear lexan over the round meter hole &
made my Meter Bank with a slot in the top for coins.

fishin' electrician

I have a natural gas unit heater in my garage that heats the place very quickly. The temperature differential of standard t-stats is rather low and I got tired of the unit running so frequently so I cobbled this together to fire it up at 45? and shut it down at 60?. The extra SPDT switch is there so that I can use just the fan in summer.

45on60off.jpg

I also don't live in the greatest neighborhood so I like to always have the doors locked and alarm system armed. Being a lazy person, I hate fumbling with keys to get in and I don't like messing with the alarm each time either. So I added an electric strike and an electric deadbolt to the back entrance that I use the most. Now I can either hit a switch in the garage that is hidden (and only works when a keyswitch is activated) or press a button on my keyfob and just push the door open. I also put an outdoor keypad at the door for myself or others that works with a code. Inside is a request to exit motion. Any authorized means of entry shunts the doors alarm contacts and the whole thing is completely battery backed up. Locks are fail secure, which I know isn't totally kosher if there was ever a need to get out in an emergency, but hey, I live alone :D.

entrysystemlinediagram.jpg

This all worked fine and dandy til the first time I had a pizza delivered and forgot that the alarm was on....... oooops. So I hacked open a nonworking leviton wall switch occupancy sensor and rigged it up to shunt the front door alarm with a touch of the override button. Slipped a red led in there for armed and a green for shunt.
red.jpg

green.jpg

Last edited:

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I have a natural gas unit heater in my garage that heats the place very quickly. The temperature differential of standard t-stats is rather low and I got tired of the unit running so frequently so I cobbled this together to fire it up at 45? and shut it down at 60?. The extra SPDT switch is there so that I can use just the fan in summer.

I also don't live in the greatest neighborhood so I like to always have the doors locked and alarm system armed. Being a lazy person, I hate fumbling with keys to get in and I don't like messing with the alarm each time either. So I added an electric strike and an electric deadbolt to the back entrance that I use the most. Now I can either hit a switch in the garage that is hidden (and only works when a keyswitch is activated) or press a button on my keyfob and just push the door open. I also put an outdoor keypad at the door for myself or others that works with a code. Inside is a request to exit motion. Any authorized means of entry shunts the doors alarm contacts and the whole thing is completely battery backed up. Locks are fail secure, which I know isn't totally kosher if there was ever a need to get out in an emergency, but hey, I live alone :D.

This all worked fine and dandy til the first time I had a pizza delivered and forgot that the alarm was on....... oooops. So I hacked open a nonworking leviton wall switch occupancy sensor and rigged it up to shunt the front door alarm with a touch of the override button. Slipped a red led in there for armed and a green for shunt.

I think you win.

TOOL_5150

I just installed a suicide cord on the Christmas tree,.(two male ends) ,.. wife started the lights from the top:roll: Now I hope my insurance co. ain't logged in ;)

Thats 'ok' as long as you plugged in the dead end first, and taped em together. but, what did you do with the male part at the top? and why not just run a green extensiuon cord to the top?

~Matt

sii

Back where I grew up in Iowa, there is a farmer that I grew up with who has a large machine shop. His farm is kind of the gathering place for all of the families that live nearby. He has a large machine shop with a huge air compressor. He is also a part-time auctioneer and at some auction he picked up the air-horn from a locomotive.

On one wall is a six gang switch box which has always (I've been going there since I was a kid, he got the place from his dad) had one switch which was not connected to anything. I "borrowed" an old 1" solenoid valve from work and we hooked the locomotive horn up to the spare light switch.

Now whenever some kid comes over who has never experienced this, he tells the kid, "hey, go switch that other light on please." You would think armageddon is happening when that thing goes off. IT'S INSIDE THE BUILDING!

Funniest part was the first time he did it to his wife. She nearly killed us all.

nhfire77

45on60off.jpg

entrysystemlinediagram.jpg

red.jpg

green.jpg

One of two things have happened with here. You are either:

Incredibly bored and you are expressing your genius tendencies in electrical design

OR

You have a lot of down time.

Either way, I am jealous:)

I have to assume you live in New Haven to employ fail secure locks on your house. I would too, if, I lived there.

fishin' electrician

I think you win.

Cool, what did I win? :D

One of two things have happened with here. You are either:

Incredibly bored and you are expressing your genius tendencies in electrical design

OR

You have a lot of down time.

Either way, I am jealous:)

I have to assume you live in New Haven to employ fail secure locks on your house. I would too, if, I lived there.

I don't get bored too easily, I'm definitely no genius, but I do have too much down time :mad: due to the economy.

No, not New Haven, but I would have them if I lived there, or Bridgeport, or Stamford, or Hartford, or New Britain, or, wow this state is brutal! I am in central CT, in or near one of those ;).

Cold Fusion

You guys are right. I been thinking it's time I started taking the keys out of my truck at night. And I really should start locking my doors during the day.

Last year I did get a second key for the truck so I can lock it when I have to leave it running downtown (-30F or colder, and no plug-in)

cf

e57

You guys are right. I been thinking it's time I started taking the keys out of my truck at night. And I really should start locking my doors during the day.

Last year I did get a second key for the truck so I can lock it when I have to leave it running downtown (-30F or colder, and no plug-in)

cf
I wonder about this - A crank-case heater on an inverter set up on a thermostat... The thermostat turns on the crank-case heater, and start the engine to run the inverter to keep the battery charged...

-30F where are you? the great white north? Alaska? Minnesota?

Cold Fusion

I wonder about this - A crank-case heater on an inverter set up on a thermostat... The thermostat turns on the crank-case heater, and start the engine to run the inverter to keep the battery charged...

-30F where are you? the great white north? Alaska? Minnesota?
Great North - yes it is white this time of year.

I've got a Command Start in mine - it's 10 years old, I don't think they are in business any more. My wife's car has Viper model something or other ($700). They both can be set to start in at a specific temp. Both have a key fob for remote start. Mine works at 500 feet.But if it is cold I leave it running if I can't plug it in.

An inverter on the battery powering a block heater equates to a dead battery = no engine start. That's really a bummer.

cf

Status
Not open for further replies.