Drilling through Structural Columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny1982

What is the typical protocol for drilling through Very Beefy structural support columns in order to conceal wire? Probably a no-go? I could upload a picture if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
~Jon

Martin B

It really depends on the circumstances. Are you working on a new construction or is this a small job? When you say conceal the wiring, what do you mean?

mgookin

What is the typical protocol for drilling through Very Beefy structural support columns in order to conceal wire? Probably a no-go? I could upload a picture if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
~Jon

You get a signed & sealed detail from a PE and you follow that.
Else you don't do it.

+1 on speaking with the engineer.

In my mechanical engineer days these issues would come up regularly during wiring/HVAC etc. A quick sketch and/or phone call was always appreciated and we could work something out on how to go about it, generally in under 5 minutes.

There are so many neat, quick ways in the electrical world to attach conduit to structural steel. Many don't even require drilling. B-Line & Cooper have some wonderful stuff.

If I came on the job site and found some clown had borrowed the mag base drill and put two dozen 1-1/2" holes through my structure I'd blow my top. I had enough trouble with the fabricators doing it... They'd be proud of themselves for saving a half hour of shop rate time, completely unaware that they'd invalidated a structural calculation requiring 4 hours of engineering time to redo, recheck, restamp and reissue. While I had to go to the client with hat in hand to get it okayed and explain why we can't control our configuration.

Of course, this may be existing structure with no engineer in charge. To give you his opinion he'll want paid. Either way B-line is looking good ;)

mwm1752

Most all glue lambs, LVL's, TJI's, & BCI products have install instructions sent with material -- otherwise look online -- always make sure of hole size allowed but in general a 3/4" hole can be drilled anywhere in wood structures -- once again check prior to drilling

If I came on the job site and found some clown had borrowed the mag base drill and put two dozen 1-1/2" holes through my structure I'd blow my top. I had enough trouble with the fabricators doing it... They'd be proud of themselves for saving a half hour of shop rate time, completely unaware that they'd invalidated a structural calculation requiring 4 hours of engineering time to redo, recheck, restamp and reissue. )

This is where standard MIL-TFD-41 comes into play-

Make It Like The Flamin' Drawing For Once.

Status
Not open for further replies.