CCTV camera and ceiling tile

Status
Not open for further replies.

WirenutGP

What NEC violations would apply when CCTV cameras are mounted directly to fiberglass ceiling tiles with no other support other than toggle bolts in a commercial building?

Thanks

love9099

CCTV mounting in ceiling tile

CCTV mounting in ceiling tile

You can install the cameras without the T-Bar supports you can buy but if they fall down it will come back to bite you in the way of your reputation. I think the supports are like $6 dollars each from most electrical supply houses.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They make CCTV boxes that mount directly to the tile and come with a piece of drop wire:

CAM-BOX%20Kit.jpg

Marlon_S

We have installed cameras for the Broward County School board and the inspector wants every camera independently suspended. The way they put it is: If there is a fire and they have to pull down the ceiling grid, everything that is not tile must stay hanging.

So, check with your inspectors first, they may have their own rules.

sinbad

I'm using Carlon / Lamson # B618R-UPC round box.
never thought to hang them before but it make perfectly sense to do. from Monday :)

Rob454

What NEC violations would apply when CCTV cameras are mounted directly to fiberglass ceiling tiles with no other support other than toggle bolts in a commercial building?

Thanks

Personally I would install back boxes with T bar hangers then shoot a earthquake strap to the concrete or wood beam above the T bar.

WirenutGP

We have installed cameras for the Broward County School board and the inspector wants every camera independently suspended. The way they put it is: If there is a fire and they have to pull down the ceiling grid, everything that is not tile must stay hanging.

So, check with your inspectors first, they may have their own rules.

That's how it was explained to me as well. "Nothing should be able to come down till we want it down"

Thanks all,

cosmos

When an inspector makes an arbitrary non-code related ruling, it should be disputed. and maybe once they are forced to pay for the change, they won't be so cocky.

Status
Not open for further replies.