Panel Spacing Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st Question- I installed a subpanel on a fire rated board on a wall to run new circuits from it to some low voltage security system panels. The security guys installed a troph for the low voltage wiring that has extended above my panel. I told them to remove it because their troph has no electrical association with my subpanel and breaks the 6.5 height part of the code. Was I right?

2nd Question- Management of the building I am working in wants me to install a subpanel on a fire rated board on the wall where the right side of the panel will be a 1/2 inch from a wall that comes out 90 degrees from the wall the panel is on. Meaning my panel will practically be up against a wall on the right side. On the left side of my panel will be a low voltage security system panel about two inches from the left side of my panel. My panel is only 14 &1/2 inches wide. Because their low voltage panel is not a part of any electrical system or a subpanel itself, they will be breaking the 30 inch side by side rule? We don't have 30 inches because I can't include a low voltage security panel as part of my 30 inch rule and I am up against a wall on the other side. Am I right?

Thanks Guys,

Rick

iwire

Staff member
1) I agree with you.

2) Sounds like no problem as long as the security panel does not extend out beyond the panel. If it does just space the panel off the wall as much as needed.

1) I agree with you.

2) Sounds like no problem as long as the security panel does not extend out beyond the panel. If it does just space the panel off the wall as much as needed.

If my subpanel is almost up against a wall on the right side and the security panel is two inches away from my subpanel on the left. How do we measure the 30 inch width rule?

TX

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If my subpanel is almost up against a wall on the right side and the security panel is two inches away from my subpanel on the left. How do we measure the 30 inch width rule?

TX
As long as the "foreign equipment" does not extend too far from the wall and so intrude on the working space of your panel it does not block your 30" space. It is just as if there were blank wall there.

Remember the working space is in front of your panel, while the dedicated space is above and below the footprint of your panel and stops at the front face of your panel.
Your first question referred to dedicated space and your second refers to working space.
If the trough in Q1 stuck out too far and impinged on the working space of the panel if would be a violation even if you were the one who put it there.

As long as the "foreign equipment" does not extend too far from the wall and so intrude on the working space of your panel it does not block your 30" space. It is just as if there were blank wall there.

Remember the working space is in front of your panel, while the dedicated space is above and below the footprint of your panel and stops at the front face of your panel.
Your first question referred to dedicated space and your second refers to working space.
If the trough in Q1 stuck out too far and impinged on the working space of the panel if would be a violation even if you were the one who put it there.

Understood. You have explained it so it makes perfect sense. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.