Data and power cable separation

Status
Not open for further replies.

cppoly

A SOOW cable 16-5 has power conductors and data conductors in the same cable. Are these conductors required to be separated by a voltage barrier if they enter a junction box?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
A SOOW cable 16-5 has power conductors and data conductors in the same cable. Are these conductors required to be separated by a voltage barrier if they enter a junction box?
If they are permitted to be in the same cable, why would separation be required in a junction box?

cppoly

My thoughts exactly but didn't want to clutter up my question.

But my follow up question is, I thought data and power had to be separated so how are they permitted to be in the same cable?

JFletcher

Take a look at 800.133(A)(1)(b) exception. Are the power conductors part of a class 2 or 3 circuit?

I dont see how you could bring a single cable thru a KO/fitting and split it in the box when the dividers completely transect the box into two halves...

iwire

Staff member

What is the application?

In other words does the NEC apply to this installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.