3 gang box fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Hass

I'm looking to see if I can fix a slightly overloaded box using a box extender that has a "ci" stamped on it. I need 48 ci and the carlon 3 gang thats in the wall is 44 ci. The box is set back slightly from the sheetrock. Anyone know of a 3 gang, or a single gang extendable box extender with the ci marked on it?

Thanks in advance

kwired

Electron manager
So you need two less 14 AWG or larger conductors to get to 44 or below.

Change one of the devices to a multiple function device (stacked switch for example) and blank off one device position in the box - now you are compliant with box fill.:)

JFletcher

So you need two less 14 AWG or larger conductors to get to 44 or below.

Change one of the devices to a multiple function device (stacked switch for example) and blank off one device position in the box - now you are compliant with box fill.:)

Brilliant!, tho if the box is more than a 1/4" back he'll still need an extension ring.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ya know that you gotta add a fill/conductor allowance for them internal clamps. :)

No one does, but you are supposed to.

I'm still on the side that says you don't have to deduct for the molded clamps. I know Carlon has an FAQ stating you do but I believe that was intended for the old style boxes that have separate screw in clamps. There is no way to remove the molded clamps for listing testing and even if you did it would not change the space withing the box.

jumper

I'm still on the side that says you don't have to deduct for the molded clamps. I know Carlon has an FAQ stating you do but I believe that was intended for the old style boxes that have separate screw in clamps. There is no way to remove the molded clamps for listing testing and even if you did it would not change the space withing the box.

UL disagrees.:p

Ps. Even the inspectors on this forum said they could care less about those clamps. I stand alone in my useless crusade.:D

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I'm looking to see if I can fix a slightly overloaded box using a box extender that has a "ci" stamped on it. I need 48 ci and the carlon 3 gang thats in the wall is 44 ci. The box is set back slightly from the sheetrock. Anyone know of a 3 gang, or a single gang extendable box extender with the ci marked on it?

Thanks in advance

Has it been rejected? If yes worry about how to fix it.
If not yet rejected don't worry about it till it is rejected.
:roll:

macmikeman

I'm not going to worry about internal plastic box clamps till I stop seeing larger amounts of non tamper resistant receptacle outlets on the big box store shelves than tamper resistant ones....

kwired

Electron manager
These plastic single gang extenders are marked. My supply house told me where to find them. This place here: http://www.homedepot.com/s/ReceptXtenders?NCNI-5

The manufacturer shows double gang versions, too. But they only tell you where you can get the singles: tHD, and only in certain states.
http://www.receptxtenders.com/index.htm
When I clicked on the HD link the search results page that comes up says "0 matches found", possibly because of my location I suppose.

iwire

Staff member
I am not an insider, I am a dork.:D

frabz-DORK-POWERS-ACTIVATED-a8e9a3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.