Receptacles for welders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, does anyone have any input as far as connecting welders to receptacles that are rated less than the welder max input amps as long as the receptacle is properly protected from overcurrent? Miller welder tech support says you can connect it as low as you want as long as the ocpd holds for the use pattern. The welder in question has a max ocpd of 110 amps and and minimum Wire size of #6 and can run up to 92 amps input single phase at 240 volts. They want an extension cord for versatility. They already have one in similar use that holds fine on a 60 amp circuit. Obviously a cord and plug rated to handle a 110 amp ocpd will be very costly to assemble as well as awkward to use. Anyone see any code concerns with switching to 60 amp ocpd and receptacles?

iwire

Staff member
Obviously a cord and plug rated to handle a 110 amp ocpd will be very costly to assemble as well as awkward to use. Anyone see any code concerns with switching to 60 amp ocpd and receptacles?

I do not see an issue with that plan as long as they are happy with it.

That said if you know the duty cycle of the welder you may be able to use the 110 amp OCPD with the reduced size cord.

jumper

Welder receptacles are treated different than normal ones.

210.21(B)

Exception No. 2: A receptacle installed exclusively for the use of
a cord-and-plug-connected arc welder shall be permit-
ted to have an ampere rating not less than the minimum
branch-circuit conductor ampacity determined by 630.11(A)
for arc welders

kwired

Electron manager
I do know the duty cycle but I think once I put a receptacle in the circuit they could plug in anything so I think I would need to properly protect the receptacle.
Without looking anything up yet, I think if your receptacle is rated 50 amps or less (maybe 60) you might be on the right track here.

Something triggered in my mind about single outlet vs multiple outlet branch circuits and up to 50 amps being the upper limit for multiple outlet circuits I believe, but not sure how 630(?) might modify any of that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.