code violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamsville

Was in the mall this morning. Saw this cord going down through the wood chips in the top of a raised walkway divider in the center of the mall. So I dug down and found this.

What do you think? I think there exists a code section that would prohibit this. I had to dig down 3 inches to uncover it. The GFCI receptacle was facing up underneath the wood chips with an extension cord plugged in. Not sure where the other end of the cord was feeding to, it disappeared beneath the chips...

View attachment 4369

Volta

You might be able to try 110.11, if the mulch dust could deteriorate the GFCI.

You might try 314.27(C), but that area is not designed for walking, so may not be a floor . . .

Or you might try 400.8(5), but again, the mulch may not be considered a "floor".

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
You might be able to try 110.11, if the mulch dust could deteriorate the GFCI.

You might try 314.27(C), but that area is not designed for walking, so may not be a floor . . .

Or you might try 400.8(5), but again, the mulch may not be considered a "floor".

Keep fishing. :D

iwire

Staff member
110.12(C).

IMO the internal parts are being contaminated by abrasives.

attachment.php

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Let's take this away from the mall and put it in someones residence, and let's assume there is a violation, who would be the party that could site a violation?

Roger

iwire

Staff member
You mean (B)?

No C, but I am looking at my 2005. :)

What if it's a TR receptacle?

Then I would say that the abrasives adversely effect the operation of the tamper shutters.

If I am the inspector I believe that is a judgment call I could make based on the wording in 110.12(C) or I guess (B) in the 2008.

Or I could just mention it to the fire dept and they would have it fixed that day. :grin:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
So what control would an elecrician or inspector have over what happens after the C.O.? This could be compared with why article 210.21(B)(2) is waste of ink.

When an end user decides to do something it's going to happen.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.