Billing/Invoicing for work

Status
Not open for further replies.

knoppdude

Hello everyone,
I just started contracting with a company on a t/m basis, with the company providing a great deal of the material, and tools, which is fine by me for now, as I am just getting back on my feet. So, basically, other than the small amount of material that I will supply, I am billing for my time. Does anyone think it is unprofessional to just use a generic invoice book to bill for my time. This will all be hand written, and I know we live in the age of computers,but I actually prefer hand written bills. Plus, I will have the duplicate which simplifies things for someone who is generally disorganized when it comes to records. This way, I can just use the duplicates when it comes to tax time. What do you guys think? Just so everyone knows, I do read every post, and value the feedback. Thanks

cal1947

cal, retired

cal, retired

Hello everyone,
I just started contracting with a company on a t/m basis, with the company providing a great deal of the material, and tools, which is fine by me for now, as I am just getting back on my feet. So, basically, other than the small amount of material that I will supply, I am billing for my time. Does anyone think it is unprofessional to just use a generic invoice book to bill for my time. This will all be hand written, and I know we live in the age of computers,but I actually prefer hand written bills. Plus, I will have the duplicate which simplifies things for someone who is generally disorganized when it comes to records. This way, I can just use the duplicates when it comes to tax time. What do you guys think? Just so everyone knows, I do read every post, and value the feedback. Thanks

not a bad way to start, but there are plenty of web sights that wil;l print up invoices, change orders, contracts for you at a fair price. neb, vista print are just a couple

shepelec

I used Quick Books Pro. All of my quotes and invoices as well as record keeping for tax time are all stored and catagorized for me. $180 isn't too bad an investment for a little organization.

Now if only I could get it to keep the truck up to snuff......:roll:

davedottcom

I've been in business for myself for over 9 years now. Thousands of invoices, all hand written. I use a NEBS standard Invoice form with duplicates. I think it's easier to write an invoice than it is to enter or "type" everything into a program. Plus many customers prefer an invoice immediately so instead of writing some & printing others, I just write them all... works fine for me & I actually like the fact that it keeps me away from the computer. I'm on it enough as it is, don't need to do EVERYTHING on it! I do print my envelopes on the PC though. Another example is I still write checks! I refuse to do any online billing... I dont need it & would rather write a check than stare at the PC screen.

Dave

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I do use hand written invoices in the field for service work. I then come home and transfer to QuickBooks. QB is the ONLY way to go. For larger (multi-day) jobs, I do it all in QB and send it by e-mail.

Mark

Sparky555

If a company will pay at the time of service because I provide a handwritten invoice from the truck, that's what I do. If they pay at 30 days I go back to the office and mail/email a computer generated invoice.

macmikeman

If a company will pay at the time of service because I provide a handwritten invoice from the truck, that's what I do. If they pay at 30 days I go back to the office and mail/email a computer generated invoice.

I always figured you would be the type to keep a laptop and small printer in the vehicle so you could produce a computer copy any time. Man, even I have that setup, and I run the worlds most unbusiness business....

Sparky555

I always figured you would be the type to keep a laptop and small printer in the vehicle so you could produce a computer copy any time. Man, even I have that setup, and I run the worlds most unbusiness business....

I tried a laptop and printer in the vehicle and it slowed the process down for me. There's a business philosophy that handwritten/informality is a good thing.

GUNNING

Drop those tools and into the office!

Drop those tools and into the office!

I tried to do the hand invoice thing for the first couple of years. Then my wife decided it was time to use quickbooks. Found a guy that I did a lot of work for hadn't paid me for a year. Paid for the software and then some. Made the tax thing easier. Got the house carpeted too! Hand invoicing is a good way to go to start the bookkeeping process but only one step. Get the quickbooks software and get professional. Next thing your going to ask about will be about branding and quickbooks is the beginning of your office experience. Start thinking on how your going to get out of the field and into your office and when your going to drop your tools and start delegating. Thats called Electrical CONTRACTING. Its a different side of the business and thats where the real money is made. Good luck and remember image is as important as the work. Good looking billing will get you paid first and called back first. It means you have a good representation of your character and have presence. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.