Lineman Qualified for NJ Electrical license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Njlineman

Hey all I am new to the forum but certainly not new to the industry. I have a question for you guys. I was was about to start preparing for the NJ Electrical license 4 years ago after aprox 8 years in the inside world. I never went through a union apprenticeship but my father was as master electrician with his own company and taught me everything he knew. After he passed away and shortly after I left the inside world and became a lineman for PSEG. My question is.. do linemen qualify to become licenced electricians? I have a ton of inside experience but it's been a few years. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You need to be able to prove that you have actually worked as an electrician ("work shall have been done in compliance with the
National Electrical Code"
) for a number of years to be eligible to sit for the exam. Here's the requirements:

N.J.A.C. 13:31-2.1 Qualifications of Applicants
a. Applicants for examination for a license as an electrical contractor shall present proof to
the Board that the applicant:
1. Is over the age of 21 years;
2. Holds a high school diploma or equivalency certificate; and
3. Has had, immediately preceding the submission of the application, at least five years of
hands-on experience working with tools in the installation, alteration, or repair of wiring for
electric light, heat or power, which work shall have been done in compliance with the
National Electrical Code. “Practical hands-on experience” shall not include time spent in
supervising, engaging in the practice of engineering, estimating and performing other
managerial tasks. In the alternative, the applicant may satisfy the practical hands-on
experience requirement by having:
i. Completed a four-year apprenticeship program approved by both a Federal agency
and a Federally certified State agency and at least one year of practical hands-on
experience as defined in (a)3 above. A certificate of completion issued by the
apprenticeship program and a certification by an employer regarding the additional
year of practical hands-on experience shall be submitted with the application for
the electrical contractor’s examination; or
ii. Satisfied the definition of a qualified journeyman electrician as set forth in
N.J.A.C. 13:31-1.2 and completed at least one year of practical hands-on experience
as defined in (a)3 above. The applicant shall submit proof of having satisfied the
definition of a qualified journeyman electrician in N.J.A.C. 13:31-1.2 and a
certification by an employer regarding the additional year of practical hands-on
experience; or
iii. Earned a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering and completed two years of
practical hands-on experience as defined in (a)3 above. The applicant shall submit
a copy of his or her diploma and a certification by an employer regarding the
additional two years of practical hands-on experience; or
iv. Worked in the field of electrical contracting for a least five years immediately
preceding the date of application. The applicant shall submit a certification by an
employer establishing that the applicant has at least five years of practical hands-
on experience as defined in (a)3 above.

http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/elec/Pages/applications.aspx

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Njlineman

I dont like the wording "immediately preceding the submission of the application"
Im not to sure how much of the NEC governs linework. Everything we do is hot 13kv all the way down to 120v street lights. And we do everything according to our own construction manual which is almost twice as thick as the NEC.

Thanks for the quick reply and welcoming!

Last edited:

82ndLineman

Occupation
Lineman
Hey NJlineman I know this thread is old but what was the outcome? I’m a lineman for PSEG as well and looking for to get my electricians license. Hopefully this msg gets to you. Thanks, be safe out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.