Correct wire for overhead feed from street to meter base?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshifflette

Hello,

I am not a professional electrician FYI, so forgive me if I do not use correct terminology...

I am trying to find out what kind of wire I need to replace my existing wire that is coming from the power company's feed to my meter base. One of the legs overheated and has a bad connection so I am replacing it tomorrow. I already pulled a homeowner's permit and bought 1/0 copper THHN, which is what my electrician friend told me to buy. Please note I currently have copper, not aluminum, and the wire I am replacing looks the same as the 1/0 copper I bought. My concern is, the store said this is not specifically 'UV' rated, which is apparently needed for an overhead supply to be up to code. The aluminum IS UV rated, but has a lower capacity than the copper unless I get a larger gauge but then I would have to upgrade my conduit so it would fit...

Does anyone know if this 1/0 copper THHN is going to pass inspection for an overhead feed in Washington State? I don't want to install it and then find out I have to pull it all out and start over...

Thanks

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.