User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: NM cable (romex) in PVC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jxofaltrds View Post
    It is a damp location not a wet location. ...
    That is not what the code tells us in 300.9.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a damp location not a wet location.
    The handbook under Location, Wet takes you to Article 410.4(A).
    Where is Article 410.4(A)?
    It is not in the handbook.
    JXO,
    I am curious where you want to go with that thought.
    Glene77is, Memphis, TN. .....Electricity.is.Shocking.....׺`_

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by relochris View Post
    This particular inspector is like the gestapo. I've found it's just best to do as he says. We ran a 10-2 romex through the crawl space. We punched out of the foundation with a piece of 3/4 pvc(sch40) into an LB and piped up about 2 1/2 feet up to a pullout disconnect for the AC. He said that sheathed cable cannot be run in conduit. He also said that he would have accepted it if it were UF. Seemed kind of contradictory to me.
    NM not allowed in wet location like others said. UF is still a sheathed cable. Maybe this inspector needs to quote you the code sections you are in violation of instead of just making it up. (He was right, but for the wrong reasons).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by relochris View Post
    This particular inspector is like the gestapo. I've found it's just best to do as he says. We ran a 10-2 romex through the crawl space. We punched out of the foundation with a piece of 3/4 pvc(sch40) into an LB and piped up about 2 1/2 feet up to a pullout disconnect for the AC. He said that sheathed cable cannot be run in conduit. He also said that he would have accepted it if it were UF. Seemed kind of contradictory to me.
    I do not think that this meets a wet location. I think it is damp.

300.9 says "where raceways", it does not say that 'all' raceways are to be concidered wet.

Really does not matter NM not allowed.

The hanbook says that there is a 410.4(A). 410.4(A) is not in the handbook.
    Inspector Mike®
    ESI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if you strip back the NM to a point where the conduit is in a very dry installation?
    Are the coductors themselves of the type that normally would be permitted.

Just curious.

Wicking:
    I see the issue with the wicking of the paper. I just had a repair where there was a very small leak in a wall. The water ran through the hole in the top plate, down the wire into the box. The NM appeared to be stripped with a box knife and sliced the insulation of the Hot. The wet paper conucted curent which created heat and melted the wires. It even caused enough heat that a wire under the same staple passing by the outlet box melted through and shorted also. It was very weird to troubleshoot. You had two unrelated shorts ( so it seemed) the second of which whoes wire should not have even been in that area.

Go figure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

300.9 says "where raceways", it does not say that 'all' raceways are to be concidered wet. ...
    So are you telling us this raceway that is installed on the outside wall of the building is not in a wet location?
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

300.9 says "where raceways", it does not say that 'all' raceways are to be concidered wet.

Really does not matter NM not allowed.

The hanbook says that there is a 410.4(A). 410.4(A) is not in the handbook.
    I am definitely lost in what you are saying.

If the raceway is installed a wet location the inside of the raceway is also a wet locations, there is no gray area since the addition of 300.9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post
    What if you strip back the NM to a point where the conduit is in a very dry installation?
    Are the coductors themselves of the type that normally would be permitted.

Just curious.
    What does the marking on the conductors inside an NM sheath say? Answer, nothing. It is not marked, so we do not know where they can be installed. Look at 310.8(C). These are the types of wires that must be used in wet locations. Do you know what type of insdulation is on the conductors in type NM. UF comes under (C)(3) in that the assembly is listed for use in wet locations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haskindm View Post
    What does the marking on the conductors inside an NM sheath say? Answer, nothing. It is not marked, so we do not know where they can be installed. Look at 310.8(C). These are the types of wires that must be used in wet locations. Do you know what type of insdulation is on the conductors in type NM. UF comes under (C)(3) in that the assembly is listed for use in wet locations.
    I think this was debated elsewere about the wire in a NM cable. Looking at southwire specs it is:
    Southwire's Romex SIMpull Type NM-B cable is manufactured as 2, 3, or 4 conductor cable, with a ground wire. Copper
    conductors are annealed (soft) copper. Stranded conductors are compressed stranded. Conductor insulation is 90C-rated
    polyvinyl chloride (PVC), nylon jacketed. Southwire's SIMpull Designed for Easier Pulling, Resulting in Easier installation.
    The cable jacket is color-coded for quick size identification; White - 14 AWG, Yellow - 12 AWG, Orange - 10 AWG, and Black -
    8 AWG and 6 AWG.

I belive that was the same type of insulation they used in the old THHN before the simpull. I wonder why they just don't make a non-paper type NM. ( not UF too tuff to use generally) It is my understanding the paper is the whole problem when using NM to be sleeved a short distance. The nex thing we will be told is that we cannot use NM to wire a outdoor wall sconce even if the box opening is flush with the wall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    So are you telling us this raceway that is installed on the outside wall of the building is not in a wet location?
    Yes that is what I am saying.

I think that damp location fits it better. It does not meet the definition of wet location.

Bob it is installed in a damp location.

Either way no NM.
    Inspector Mike®
    ESI