Using device for splice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this legal? I found article 300.13 and it seems that it isn't. I have other electricians arguing that it's within the code. They also say it's the same as wiring a load off a gfci.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 2

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes it's code compliant because there isn't a MWBC involved. Also those type of covers do not require a separate bonding jumper to the EGC or box. They do require a minimum of two screws to hold each device in place on the cover.

Last edited:

JFletcher

Yes it's code compliant because there is a MWBC involved. Also those type of covers do not require a separate bonding jumper to the EGC or box. They do require a minimum of two screws to hold each device in place on the cover.

Dont you mean because there is not a MWBC involved here?

Seen a similar setup with the grounding conductor jumpered as well.:happysad:

user 100

What does MWBC mean?

Multi Wire Branch ​Circuit.

As defined in article 100:

"A branch circuit that consists of two or more ungrounded conductors that have a voltage between them, and a grounded conductor that has equal voltage between it and each ungrounded conductor of the circuit and that is connected to the neutral or grounded conductor of the system."

Last edited:

user 100

From a thread a couple of months back.......

Unfortunately the reliable and safe Edison circuit will probably end up going the way of the dodo bird.

Probably have apprentices asking here several cycles from now about what a mwbc even is.:happysad:

And probably within the next twenty years.

I can hear the conversation, "You're crazy old man. How do you get three circuits only using four wires? You need six."

ActionDave, it has already begun.....:p:happyyes:

What does MWBC mean?

JFletcher

From a thread a couple of months back.......

ActionDave, it has already begun.....:p:happyyes:

I didnt know what a MWBC was a year or two ago, and have installed exactly one such circuit in that time, discounting 4 wire range/dryer circuits that may or may not use the neutral depending on the appliance.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
I don't see a MWBC, just two receptacles wired in cascade on one circuit.

The rating of a receptacle applies both to pass-through current and the current used by a cord-connected appliance.

user 100

Is there an artical in the code book that says its legal?

If you mean the mwbc itself, there sure isn't anything that says they are prohibited-in the 2014, 210.4 tells you all about them, and as bonus, there is an informational note located underneath 210.4(A) that tells you to go to 300.13(B), which is the section that explains conductor continuity reqs for device removal w/ these ckts- what Infinity and JFletcher were talking about- in short, for these ckts, you cannot depend on the device for continuity of the neutral- neutral needs to be pigtailed.

And if you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask.:)

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Is this legal? I found article 300.13 and it seems that it isn't. I have other electricians arguing that it's within the code. They also say it's the same as wiring a load off a gfci.

300.13(B) only applies to the grounded conductor of a multiwire branch circuit.

You picture does not show a multiwire branch circuit so 300.13(B) does not apply.

If it was a multiwire branch circuit only the grounded conductor would have to be spliced with out using the device.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Is there an artical in the code book that says its legal?
No. At least none that I'm aware of.

But there is one which says it is not unless insulated. I believe UL listing category says the terminals may be used for feed-thru purpose. 110.14(B) says splices must be insulated. So it seems those that tape their receptacles may be on to something.

:blink:

JFletcher

No. At least none that I'm aware of.

But there is one which says it is not unless insulated. I believe UL listing category says the terminals may be used for feed-thru purpose. 110.14(B) says splices must be insulated. So it seems those that tape their receptacles may be on to something.

A jumper is not a splice, nor is a receptacle a splicing device; no tape required.

user 100

...... 110.14(B) says splices must be insulated. So it seems those that tape their receptacles may be on to something.

A jumper is not a splice, nor is a receptacle a splicing device; no tape required.

I agree w/ JFletcher about the no tape and I think this is effectively answered by 406.5 (G) and 406.6 (Cover plates)-

The code says that receptacles have to be enclosed and a face plate be installed so that the live screw terminals are not exposed - if 110.14(B) applied,why would they have those two requirements?;)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't see a MWBC, just two receptacles wired in cascade on one circuit.

The rating of a receptacle applies both to pass-through current and the current used by a cord-connected appliance.
Not exactly....both 15 and 20 amp receptacles are rated for "pass-through" on a 20 amp circuit.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I agree w/ JFletcher about the no tape and I think this is effectively answered by 406.5 (G) and 406.6 (Cover plates)-

The code says that receptacles have to be enclosed and a face plate be installed so that the live screw terminals are not exposed - if 110.14(B) applied,why would they have those two requirements?;)
What if you run only one circuit wire to the respective terminals, such as a dead-end receptacle or wire-nutted splices with pigtails to the receptacle. There's no splice and you still have to meet the requirement of 406.5(G) and 406.6.

Insulating conductors, namely spliced conductors, versus making terminals touch safe are two different (but similar) purposes.

PS: I've never been one to tape my receptacles. Just pointing it out for discussion.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If you have two circuit conductors potentially carrying the same current, they have to be spliced or joined in some manner. In this case, the red and white jumpers are circuit conductors. Read the UL listing category text that permits feed-thru. That makes it a splicing device identified for the use.

Status
Not open for further replies.