NEC version; new versus old

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMB

Hypothetical situation: You are asked to inspect a facility that was built in 1985 and to note any electrical code violations. No upgrades or additions have been performed. Do you apply the current version or do you look at whatever version was used in 1985? I would think you would have to use the older version since it was applicable when constructed.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Hypothetical situation: You are asked to inspect a facility that was built in 1985 and to note any electrical code violations. No upgrades or additions have been performed. Do you apply the current version or do you look at whatever version was used in 1985? I would think you would have to use the older version since it was applicable when constructed.

In most areas unless there are blatant safety issues the building would only need to be in compliance with the code it was built under.

Roger

pfalcon

Clarify their request.

On the surface they are requesting 1985 violations.
Ask if they want you to note 2008 compliance issues noting that they are voluntary.

There may also be some issues where later compliance was mandated. Example, Indianapolis mandated that mobile home service had to be upgraded to a minimum 100A by a deadline that has now passed. Grandfathering was specifically denied.

SMB

Excellent replies from all, especially "pfalcon". Noting 1985 applicable deficiencies and offering to denote current deficiencies is a great idea.

thanks all.

Steve

Volta

Also as some jurisdictions take a while to adopt a code revision, so if you can't actually know what cycle was being used, one may want to skip to or at least consider an earlier edition. 1981, rather than 1984, for instance.

480sparky

You would first need to determine which edition of the NEC, if even that publication, was in effect at the time of permit (if even that applies!).

'Built in 1985' does not automatically mean the 1984 was used. Maybe '81, possibly '78, maybe a home-brewed code was enforced at the time. Maybe, there were no codes enforced at all.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
You would first need to determine which edition of the NEC, if even that publication, was in effect at the time of permit (if even that applies!).

'Built in 1985' does not automatically mean the 1984 was used. Maybe '81, possibly '78, maybe a home-brewed code was enforced at the time. Maybe, there were no codes enforced at all.

This was going to be my comment and it's a very good observation. One that I wish I could get home inspectors to grasp.

Also, use your smarts when you inspect an older building. If you can tell that the lights are old and most everything is wired in flex, that's fine, but suddenly you get into an area and you see bunch of AC or MC cable, you can bet they did some work without permits and note that and since it didn't have a permit it could have been installed yesterday and you should apply the newest code in adoption.

Status
Not open for further replies.