Electrical tape conducts electricity??

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

I was watching this guy on boob tube, where he was showing how to charge a dead 1.5v. C battery with 2- double A batteries. He said "It's called electrical tape, because it conducts electricity"

Wow! I don't know what to say.:-?

jbelectric777

He's in correct, maybe he was using some other kind of tape. Look at the wrapper, UL LISTED insulation tape (made from pvc) Now I have to be careful not to touch all those energized PVC pipes! Better yet lets start grounding PVC boxes.....

macmikeman

Pump enough voltage into that puppy and watch the wheels spin.... AFAIK, every substance, at some point or other on the scale will breakdown and become a conductor, but I bet electrical tape needs a pretty high number.

ohmhead

Well they make conductive tape we use it in high voltage splices when we terminate all the time. Theres insulating tape and there is conductive tape when you work high voltage .

realolman

What do you do with conductive tape on a high voltage splice?

I can't remember exactly what or why, but there were different layers of conductivity near the conductor than there were near the outside on some kinds of cable... and a shield layer on some.

There was specific proceedure with different types of scotch brand tape to make some kinds of splices.

ohmhead

What do you do with conductive tape on a high voltage splice?

Well we use it on splices it limits the stresses on the splice covers the barrel or crimp or connector as needed. completely up and down but not over the semicon just to the insulation cut back taper end from barrel back and forth this magnetic bonding the two ends and its conductive . we use 3M 13 or GE Irricon tape for this then other tapes on top of this like high voltage tape GE 8380 and build a stress cone we install a grounding braid and apply high voltage tape then a final silicone rubber tape on top of that lots of tape the old fashion way with out a kit takes longer but it last and lots of dollars saved . It fill the voids in the crimp from air gaps you must eliminate all air gaps in high voltage splices so no tracking can break down your splice air is you worst down fall .Its kinda like a equal potential effect between ends of your two cables but thers more .

Its color is mostly red but there are different brands its conductive voltage will pass thur this tape .Dont let your help get this mixed with your regular tape or your going to be in for a shock !

Last edited:

SHVLabs

Semi-conductive electrical tape is commonly used for electrical field grading on high voltage splices; the idea being to create an equipotential field around your splice and minimize coronal losses. Same concept as corona rings on transmission lines.

We use Scotch #13, just enough to cover any sharp points or protruding surfaces, then over-wrap with insulating tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.