Cold water bonding issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upgraded panel from 100 amp to 200 amp, largest ungrounded conductor is a #8 copper, thought I remembered in Mike's seminar being taught the cold water bond didn't have to be any larger than the largest ungrounded conductor? Inspector is insisting that I have a #4 bond. Any anyone tell me the code number or am I just wrong???

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Roger is right.
Hopefully a misunderstanding. Your GEC is basesd on your service conductors. Are they #8 s ?

mcclary's electrical

Upgraded panel from 100 amp to 200 amp, largest ungrounded conductor is a #8 copper, thought I remembered in Mike's seminar being taught the cold water bond didn't have to be any larger than the largest ungrounded conductor? Inspector is insisting that I have a #4 bond. Any anyone tell me the code number or am I just wrong???

Welcome Johnny. Use 250.66, Based on the largest ungrounded conductor of the SERVICE ENTRANCE CONDUCTOR,,,not your largest branch circuit.(which I'm hoping is where your #8's are:confused:)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Oh Johnny Boy take a look at T.310.15(B)(6). I will go out on a limb and guess this is a residence. So.... I hope your service entrance conductors are larger than a #8. If you are trying to take the cold water bond from a sub panel then you are mistaken. It must go back to the main service disconnect and needs to be #4 as the inspector stated.

kwired

Electron manager
I think he means his largest branch circuit is 8 AWG. If his service entrance conductors are 8 AWG, his inspector should have been all over him on that one.

Water pipe bond must be sized acording to 250.66 and service entrance conductor 250.104 tells us this.

was talking about largest branch circuit was #8. Service entrance is #3/0. Guess I misunderstood in last grounding class I took. Should have drank more coffee. Thanks for the info.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
:grin:
Yep! Your branch circuit size can be taken into consideration for bonding piping other than your water line {250.104(B)}, but your water pipe bond is based on your service conductors {250.104(A)}

and Welcome to the Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.